I can't disable write caching for removable drives

I set mount option for usb storage in fatab
UUID=02B7-2119 /home/usr2023/test exfat uid=francois,gid=usr2023,rw,noatime,noauto,sync 0 0
For me not working disable write caching removable drive

Work well in previous versions, but in the new update it does not work via Monte Option
Someone can help me
Thanks

Hi @Usr2023,

See:

Hope this helps!

:bangbang: Tip: :bangbang:

When posting terminal output, copy the output and paste it here, wrapped in three (3) backticks, before AND after the pasted text. Like this:

```
pasted text
```

Or three (3) tilde signs, like this:

~~~
pasted text
~~~

This will just cause it to be rendered like this:

Sed
sollicitudin dolor
eget nisl elit id
condimentum
arcu erat varius
cursus sem quis eros.

Instead of like this:

Sed sollicitudin dolor eget nisl elit id condimentum arcu erat varius cursus sem quis eros.

Alternatively, paste the text you wish to format as terminal output, select all pasted text, and click the </> button on the taskbar. This will indent the whole pasted section with one TAB, causing it to render the same way as described above.

Thereby increasing legibility thus making it easier for those trying to provide assistance.

For more information, please see:

:bangbang::bangbang: Additionally

If your language isn’t English, please prepend any and all terminal commands with LC_ALL=C. For example:

LC_ALL=C bluetoothctl

This will just cause the terminal output to be in English, making it easier to understand and debug.

2 Likes

I did and checked even Logout, but I still didn’t know what the reason is to ignore mount options

did you run

sudo mkinitcpio -P
sudo update-grub

after editing the fstab, otherwise it doesn’t take effect.

1 Like

Do not use a non-native filesystem for your /home. /home must be on a Linux-native filesystem, such as ext4, btrfs, et al. It must not be on ntfs, vfat or exfat.

1 Like

Which path is better for exfat,ntfs,vfat?

/run/media/$HOME/

I’m sorry but your question does not compute. :man_shrugging:

/home is /home, the designated parent directory for the individual users’ home directories in a UNIX operating system. If /home is a mountpoint, then the volume mounted at /home must be a filesystem that supports UNIX/POSIX filesystem permissions and file ownership.

If you want to use a Microsoft-native filesystem such as ntfs, vfat or exfat, then this must be a filesystem that’s not required by the main system — /home is required.

Please read through the following two tutorials… :point_down:

1 Like

If it is truly a removable device then you should not use a permanent mountpoint in your home.

2 Likes

The problem is that caching is still applied at the start copy
It syncs only at the end, which causes a sharp drop in writing
Writing to the disk must be completed at the same speed from beginning to end,like Windows

The utility rule package mentioned is not working for internal devices - only - for usb storage devices.

The udev-usb-sync rule works after a udev reload - but as stated - only for devices attached as an usb storage device.

1 Like

You mean that
Start caching is applied from internal storage to USB.
But not applied usb to usb.
When copy hard disk to usb, start copy caching applied, just end syncing

No I don’t - it is described in detail in the linked topic

1. the udev rule disables writecache using hdparm - if the device supports it
  2. a couple settings is applied to the cache using the script but these propeties is only applicable if the kernel is later than 6.1.
  3. the settings are applied to any device advertising itself as
    ENV{ID_USB_TYPE}=="disk"

For me not work because my kernel version 5.x

There is a lot of different things you can apply - but we need to know such things as which kernel you use - because not everything is applicable …

Please look at the linked topic - especially look at the other options - such as max-perf-wiz script.

1 Like

Please link max-perf-wiz script

Read the topic … referenced above

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.