KDE Compositor crashes firefox

If Firefox is open and I turn off/on Plasma Compositor Firefox will crash and hang. Will give no response. I have dual monitor. If I switch off one monitor the compositor will turn off itself. and Firefox will hang.
I tried this with Chromium. Which works correctly.

Not a problem here, so:

1. Please read this:
    How to provide good information
    and post some more information so we can see what’s really going on. Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies… :grin:
  2. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information for us to be able to help you. (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
    Also, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text.
  3. Does this also happen in a newly created user? (E.G. pulsar2)

:+1:

P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you’re using, which exact CPU/GPU or Kernel, … you have without typing it every time

1 Like

It’s tracked here 1712665 - [X11][EGL][WR] UI freezes when the system's compositor is suspended

Try unset MOZ_X11_EGL=1 and set gfx.x11-egl.force-enabled to false and gfx.x11-egl.force-disabled to true in about:config

I actually set those variables in about:config. however I started fresh profile without hardware acceleration. It seems okay now. Hope it fixed soon.

As linked above, it is a known issue. It’s VERY annoying when I launch / close some games, I also have to restart Firefox on KDE because of this issue.

Hmm. Never a problem here. I use Firefox, my default browser. I regularly have to turn the compositor off or on when I am using photo editors. What video driver do you use? I am using the Nouveau driver.

1 Like

Are you using hardware acceleration with MOZ_X11_EGL=1 environment variable?

I thought this was not even needed for many months now?

1 Like

No. I am not.

Per the Arch Wiki for Firefox Hardware Acceleration:

Run Firefox with the following environment variable enabled:

• MOZ_DISABLE_RDD_SANDBOX=1 to disable RDD sandbox, see [12]
  • In Wayland, with MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1, see Wayland
  • In X.org, with MOZ_X11_EGL=1 or set gfx.x11-egl.force-enabled to true and gfx.x11-egl.force-disabled to false in about:config .

I definitely had to use MOZ_X11_EGL=1 to turn on hardware acceleration.

It is only affect users of hardware acceleration

What if on a fresh Firefox profile you don’t do any of this, and in Performance settings you untick Use Recommended Settings, and tick Use Hardware Acceleration When Possible boxes?

1 Like