Kactivitymanagerd filling up all free space

Hello,

since updating on friday last week, my computer started misbehaving. kactivitymanagerd started to use up all my CPU. I tried rebooting, restarting the service, but nothing really helped.

After a day, Manjaro notified me that my home folder is full. The cpu-eating had stopped with that.

I cleaned up some space, and it filled up quickly again (like a few GB/h). The concerning file filling up is ~/.local/share/kactivitymanagerd/resources/database-wal

journalctl is filled with messages like:

dbus-daemon[1724]: [session uid=1000 pid=1724] Rejected: destination has a full message queue, 0 matched rules; type="signal", sender=":1.21" (uid=1000 pid=2196 comm="/usr/lib/kactivitymanagerd") interface="org.kde.KDirNotify" member="FilesAdded" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.DBus" (uid=1000 pid=3703 comm="/usr/bin/krunner")

dbus-daemon[1724]: [session uid=1000 pid=1724] Rejected: destination has a full message queue, 0 matched rules; type="signal", sender=":1.21" (uid=1000 pid=2196 comm="/usr/lib/kactivitymanagerd") interface="org.kde.ActivityManager.ResourcesLinking" member="ResourceLinkedToActivity" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.DBus" (uid=1000 pid=3703 comm="/usr/bin/krunner")

I don’t even use the activities functionality…

Thank you in advance for any suggestions how to resolve this.

Did you read the update thread?

1 Like

If that’s part of file search you can turn it off in settings.

Really?

Sorry. Misread that. So deleted my post.

Thank you, I missed that! That bug report and comments match my problem. I’ll track the issue there.

I removed database and config files. After that, it did not happen again yet.

Do you think it’s safe to follow what this guy made in comment #20 of that bug report? (Sorry, I cannot post links.)

I would go for comment #11 (renaming folder, rather than deleting).

I would imagine a fresh one will be generated (might require a reboot). I haven’t experienced the problem myself.

1 Like

When you rename it to .old it gets regenerated once you logon again and it seems to be triggered by opening apps according to ‘Modified’ date in file manager.
My guess: It tracks the history of used apps/ app history per activity.
After restoring the original one I had the old app history in Workspace behaviour > Activities > Privacy.

One thing for you to try is to clear history in activities settings before renaming it and check db/file size afterwards. You need to logout and logon again.

1 Like

Thank you all for your help!

I tried to clear the history yesterday already, and it didn’t help. I didn’t logout and logon, though, that might have helped, as raguse suggested!

I chose to rename the folder. I logged out, switched to tty2, renamed the folder, rebooted, and… got stuck. Unable to log in. putting the folder back didn’t help. I was afraid that all is lost and I would need to reinstall.

But then with a help from friend I figured it out: I had to kill sddm, free up some space (I did that by removing the folder) and start the service again. I even got to a point where the folder was not there anymore, but the file descriptors got probably stuck somewhere, so the space wasn’t seen as free… But after the service restart all went well.

So, to sum up for other users running into this:

What solved my problem:

1. Log out
  2. Switch to tty2 (Ctrl + Alt + F2)
  3. Log in
  4. Stop sddm (it’s started automatically, so you have to stop the service)
  • sudo systemctl stop sddm
  1. Rename the folder ~/.local/share/kactivitymanagerd/resources to something different
  2. Free up some space on the partition if needed
  3. Start the sddm service again
  • sudo systemctl start sddm
  1. Log in, check if all is well and remove the renamed resources folder
  2. Enjoy all the free space!

Thanks for all the helpful comments!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.