Just to say thank you

Not sure if this is the right place to say “thanks”, but I’m not finding navigating this forum terribly easy.

However, after a recent update of software offered by the updater, I found that the speed of opening of programs had collapsed, on two different machines. One I was able - by great good luck - to roll back as I was in the process of moving from a conventional HDD to an SDD and hadn’t updated the HDD, the laptop however was a lost cause. Saw nothing on the internet that was helpful, until this morning:

Now I never have any luck with typing gobbledegook into the terminal, but blow me down if it didnt’ work first time, and my laptop is now running perfectly again. I shall now see if I dare risk it on the desktop.

So thank you to the folk on that topic for finding a solution. A BIG thank you in fact.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :vulcan_salute:

As we keep on telling new members, Manjaro is a technical distribution, courtesy of it being based on Arch, and like Arch, being a rolling-release distribution.

As such, we advise all new users to periodically check in at the forum, and to keep an eye on the Announcements threads, because Manjaro is a curated rolling-release, which means that with the exception of urgent security patches and bug fixes, updates are always first properly tested and then bundled together, and every major update then also always comes with a dedicated official announcement thread.

The first post on every update announcement thread details the changes, and the second post lists all the potential gotchas, and — crucially — how to deal with them. And this is always the case, for the Stable branch, for the Testing branch, as well for the Unstable branch.

You can subscribe to notifications for — just as an example — the Stable Updates category, and then every time you log in at the forum, you will see a number next to your avatar in the top right corner, indicating how many notifications you got. If you then click your avatar, you will get a list of clickable notifications that take you straight to the pertinent posts. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you Aragorn. So what I think you’re saying is that one should only allow an update when the forum says it’s OK, rather than being advised by the little on-screen shield symbol at the bottom right of the screen.

Anyway, I’m going to try another update on a machine that I don’t normally use, and see what happens, knowing that I can type in the sudo pacman abracadabra if it all slows down.

Renewed thanks.

1 Like

I always recommend and do this myself. Especially for newcomers to Linux or/and those new to Arch-based shtuff. I myself had a booboo when I first started using Manjaro, which caused that behaviour.

2 Likes

No, that’s not what I’m saying, although it is indeed wiser to await the pertinent announcement thread — sometimes it gets posted a little later.

But if you’re really interested in what’s coming down the pike, then you can be more prophylactic and monitor the Testing Updates threads as well. Then you get a pretty good idea already of what to expect and what to look out for by the time the Stable Updates thread gets posted. :wink:

Oh and by the way, that icon isn’t always at the bottom right of the screen. That’s just because where the system tray is in XFCE. :wink:

If that machine also runs the XFCE desktop, then you will indeed have to issue the command… :arrow_down:

sudo pacman -Rdd xdg-desktop-portal-gnome && sudo pacman -S xdg-desktop-portal-gtk

… because of the bug in xdg-desktop-portal-gnome. This package should never even have been installed on your system in the first place, but due to a packaging error in the past, it did unfortunately end up on many systems where it doesn’t belong. :frowning_man: