Java error. PHPStorm won't start

Yesterday the updates came and I updated the system.
But after restarting my computer and trying to start PHPStorm, I realized that it won’t start. Also, I was unable to install a newer Linux kernel, as I understand, a bug in one of these packages. Since now I did not update them, but updated all the others and PHPStorm works.

I wrote about this bug in jetbrains, but have not received a response yet. Most likely, nevertheless, this error is connected precisely with a bug in the new version of Java.

https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WI-70969/PHPStorm-is-not-loading

Start in console:

phpstorm  :heavy_check_mark:
CompileCommand: exclude com/intellij/openapi/vfs/impl/FilePartNodeRoot.trieDescend
Error occurred during initialization of VM
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/intellij/util/lang/PathClassLoader has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file ve
rsion 61.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 55.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(java.base@11.0.18/Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(java.base@11.0.18/ClassLoader.java:1017)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(java.base@11.0.18/SecureClassLoader.java:174)
at jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.defineClass(java.base@11.0.18/BuiltinClassLoader.java:800)
at jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.findClassOnClassPathOrNull(java.base@11.0.18/BuiltinClassLoader.java:698)
at jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClassOrNull(java.base@11.0.18/BuiltinClassLoader.java:621)
at jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(java.base@11.0.18/BuiltinClassLoader.java:579)
at jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(java.base@11.0.18/ClassLoaders.java:178)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(java.base@11.0.18/ClassLoader.java:522)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(java.base@11.0.18/Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(java.base@11.0.18/Class.java:398)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.initSystemClassLoader(java.base@11.0.18/ClassLoader.java:1976)
at java.lang.System.initPhase3(java.base@11.0.18/System.java:2074)

This happened after the last system update of packages on Manjaro Linux (v22.0.0)

I had to roll back using TimeShift. God thank you for making it, Manjaro Linux, BTRFS and SSD.

So you run it with jre11, but it has been compiled with a newer version (jre19?). Maybe switch the java version?

2 Likes

What about using AUR (en) - phpstorm ? PHPstorm runs fine here.

1 Like

So it needs java17 to run :wink:

1 Like

There is a least three different methods to run phpstorm

1. install from AUR :no_entry_sign:
  2. download tar.gz archive - unpack in home - run from unpacked/bin folder :white_check_mark:
  3. install using jetbrains toolboxl :white_check_mark:

In the last case you don’t need to worry about java - possibly no worries with number 2 either.

1 Like

Thank You for solution.

As much as I don’t want to have to deal with all these little things. And so I spent a lot of time restoring the system after a failure. :wink:

I already installed it via AUR :wink:

Please also have a look at:

1 Like

Have you clicked the link? The link title is misleading. :wink:

It is created by the system AI :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.