Issue with xfce4-clipman plugin

Hello,
since about a month the following message pops up after login to my Xfce (4.16) desktop:

The Xfce Clipboard Manager is already running.
Could not start Clipboard Manager Daemon because it is already running.

I’ve already reset my Xfce panel configuration by replacing the content of ~/.config/xfce4/panel/ with /etc/skel/.config/xfce4/panel/. Afterwards I cleared the ~/.cache/ folder in addition.
However this weird message persists.

The message does not appear when I remove the plugin from the panel, but of course that’s not what I want to achieve, rather I want to use the plugin :slight_smile:

Any ideas how to narrow down this issue?

From your description, it seems that the Clipman plugin is being started twice.

Check in the directory ~/.config/autostart/ if you have two entries (.desktop files) for starting the Xfce4 Clipman plugin.
Alternatively, you can check for the same thing in Settings Manager > Session and Startup > Application Autostart.

If you find two entries, check in the directory /etc/skel/.config/autostart/ to see which is the default one, in order to keep this one in your home directory.

@bill_t, Thank you for your quick reply.

There’s no duplicate entry for the “xfce4-clipman-plugin” in my autostart folder:

$ ls ~/.config/autostart/
xcape.desktop  xfce4-clipman-plugin-autostart.desktop  xfce4-notes-autostart.desktop  xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop  xfce4-tips-autostart.desktop  xfce-panel-workaround.desktop  xfce-pbw.sh  xfconf-migration-4.6.desktop

$ ls /etc/skel/.config/autostart/
manjaro-hello.desktop  xcape.desktop  xfce4-clipman-plugin-autostart.desktop  xfce4-settings-helper-autostart.desktop  xfce4-tips-autostart.desktop  xfce-panel-workaround.desktop  xfce-pbw.sh  xfconf-migration-4.6.desktop

That looks correct, doesn’t it?

I also looked into the “Settings Manager > Session and Startup > Application Autostart”:

Are Clipman (Clipboard Manager) and the Clipman Plugin the same?

My current Clipman process list look like:

$ ps aux | grep -i clipman
neox      4257  0.0  0.2 247744 48528 ?        Sl   12:05   0:00 /usr/lib/xfce4/panel/wrapper-2.0 /usr/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins/libclipman.so 6 16777226 xfce4-clipman-plugin Clipman Clipboard manager
1 Like

Since I also didn’t see my network icon any longer for some reason, I’m thinking about to reset my complete Xfce settings. What would be the best approach to do that?

Copy everything from /etc/skel/.config/xfce4/ folder to my $userhome, or is there anything else I’m missing?

$ tree /etc/skel/.config/xfce4/
/etc/skel/.config/xfce4/
├── helpers.rc
├── panel
│   ├── datetime-5.rc
│   └── whiskermenu-8.rc
├── terminal
│   └── terminalrc
└── xfconf
    └── xfce-perchannel-xml
        ├── keyboard-layout.xml
        ├── pointers.xml
        ├── thunar.xml
        ├── xfce4-desktop.xml
        ├── xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml
        ├── xfce4-mixer.xml
        ├── xfce4-notifyd.xml
        ├── xfce4-panel.xml
        ├── xfce4-power-manager.xml
        ├── xfce4-session.xml
        ├── xfce4-settings-manager.xml
        ├── xfwm4.xml
        └── xsettings.xml

4 directories, 17 files

It may sound weird but removing the package “xfce4-clipman-plugin” solved the issue.
After a reboot “xfce4-clipman” is running, instead of “xfce4-clipman-plugin”:

$ ps aux | grep clipman
neox      4697  0.1  0.2 245416 46516 ?        Sl   07:48   0:00 xfce4-clipman

Clipman (Plugin) works just fine.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.