Is Manjaro suitable on PC professional office desktop?

Exactly my thoughts! Im willing to learn new apps and new tricks to get things done…but I can’t learn everything new all at once. And essentially, there are a few things that I need, like being able to access my LAN shares and printer support.
I received my new Pinebook Pro (PBP) just in time to start a new writing project, one that required a lot of research, time spent writing, and had a deadline. I used LibreOffice, which worked out fairly well–except for a complete inability to change the color of fonts–which only became a problem when importing text from other source docs. Then I ran into the complete lack of Printer Support, that really did me in. Finally, there were some strange behaviours of the LibreOffice app itself, like when I tried to save a copy of the document I was working on under a revision number, and only then got error messages that there was no document open. Those problems might have been idiosynchrasies of the software that I am unfamiliar with, i.e., maybe I needed to do things in a certain order, or something along those lines. I don’t know, but I eventually worked it out–but not before coming close to having a heart attack due to many, many days of work were thought to be totally lost!
And, I cannot access any of my network storage or Windows shares, not files, nor photos.
The bottom line is that Manjaro is basically a toy for someone to play with. I need to actually work and get things done, so I am not at all happy with it. Then, after reading everything I could find about it (and it’s certainly not all in one place!), I decided to “simply” download a different flavor of Linux to my Pinebook Pro, one that I could actually use for work. I don’t mind learning new apps to get things done, but I do need network access and printer support. But, after trying to boot a few other “flavors” of Linux for the Arm64 processor…well, so far none of them will boot, but I haven’t tried them all yet. Oh, yeah, and the “Pine64 Installer Utility” simply does not run on the PBP or Manjaro–I’m not sure which. So, yeah, I’m a bit disappointed.
I bought the PBP because I needed something lightweight to sit in my lap to write with, something that didn’t always need to be plugged into a wall. So far, I like the display, the keyboard, and especially the fact that it runs for a looong time on the battery! Still, I need to be able to accomplish actual work with it, and for that I need printer support and especially LAN/network support. I’m having to work around those limitations for now, but I think the inability to access things I have on my LAN (e.g., files and especially photos) on other machines and LAN storage is probably the biggest setback. So, I vote “NO” that Manjaro is NOT suitable for an “office workstation.”

2 Likes

Sad to hear that the “Pinebook plan” did not work out for you. But I think you mentioned a part of your problem yourself: Arm64. Printer driver support is I’d say “acceptable” for x86. Linux itself is an “orchid” and Arm64 Linux is a super-orchid. So your endeavour to have a serious work project done on an Arm64-Linux device -to me- seems like going to build a house with only a leatherman tool. I wouldn’t try that. I would also shy away from using a Chromebook for that, because I know how “good” desktop printing support for Android is (it’s a miss or hit and sometimes a mess or a sh*t).

Yeah, I agree regarding evolution. Especially now exchange protocol seems to becoming the de facto workplace email standard. Tried kmail on KDE, but I find that all KDE programmes seem to require huge amounts of faff/configuration.

I started with 1Password as my first password manager when I was using OS X & iOS. Back then you could just buy the products for each Apple OS and sync via iCloud for free. Sadly, things have changed to a subscription model, but they’re still very good, and offer cross platform support. I’ve always found keepass iOS clients to be a little flakey. I’d switch otherwise.

Also, CentOS can be frustrating from a software availability point of view. Some rpms that install on Fedora won’t install on CentOS. I also find it doesn’t have have the same community support for things analogous to user apt repos or the AUR. Copr is a bit sparse.

Which is why I would not use it on my own machine. But on office/business context, would I even let users install software in the first place? Less software -> less moving parts -> less problems and breakage.

1 Like

Frankly speaking, on my mom’sr ChromeOS laptop (ChromiumOS that I installed) I could setup only our Ricoh network printer (with some partially working driver of another similar model) but not the Brother 2310D USB printer (which worked partially under Debian).

Seriously, there should be a public Hardware White & Black list for Linux where the manufacturers would be shamed and people would make wise purchases…

1 Like

Shaming doesn’t work on those who see nothing wrong with they are or not doing".

Now that said such a List will be useful on checking if some hardware vendors are best avoided.

I have found there, since 1997 there had been one but they abandoned it around 2007 https://tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/video.html

And this:
https://www.linuxjournal.com/supportedhardware

And this about printers: openprinting:database:databaseintro [Wiki]

1 Like

Speaking of the The Linux Documentation Project. what happen, did the people who maintain the Documents all quit or died off?

@AlanP, you are still being WAY too vague for any kind of useful response. In a hypothetical-maybe-scenario absolutely Manjaro can work 100% fine for a completely undefined with no parameters “professional” workstation but so can most operating systems on the planet.

If you seriously want to consider it what you are going to need to do (and this goes for ANY alternative OS (linux, apple, or otherwise) if the existing environment is Windows,) is compile a list of EVERY application that is being used in the environment. You also need to have an understanding of WHY those applications are being used and for what purpose.

Then from there you can start to test and see what applications can be run natively, which ones have linux alternatives, and which ones you may have to run in a virtual or WINE environment. If you seriously want to look into this it is going to require installing and testing the applications you want to run and see how they fit into the companies workflow. It is also going to depend on the office environment, is this company a brand new startup with flexible people that are technically adept, or is this an older established company that has been around for years and the CEO’s secretary still refuses to give up her Olympia SM 9 typewriter for all the “important” correspondences she sends out.

My personal experience when I finally fully removed windows from my system, I started with Ubuntu but within a year and a half I found myself completely fighting ubuntu to keep it running smoothly while adding the newer drivers and software I wanted to run. I then gave manjaro a try and haven’t looked back since (now starting my 2nd year running). For my usage manjaro works much more smoothly and is much more reliable than ubuntu (or windows for that matter) ever was.

That being said it really just depends on what applications and workflow your company uses. Manjaro is an incredible distribution that allows you to run the latest (but not bleeding edge unless you move off the stable branch) version of most software out there in a fairly stable environment.

If you are the one instituting this change you’re going to find that the people involved are the biggest piece to whether it will be successful or not, far more than the technology itself.

2 Likes

My bet was the second but I have no idea. I guess they did not switch to Win…

Hello,

Ok. After reading your comments, Manjaro is more suitable for ‘public’ users (beginner, …) who wants to use an other system rather than Windows.

Must I close this topic now, or let it open for more comments ?

As said earlier, in general it could not be the best idea.
But again, all depends of the scope (medical office, IT company, bank?) and the tech knowledge of the users (or of the IT team).

And it depends if you asked in a general way or if you had a specific usage in mind.

Knock off the reposting, @Easthee. If someone wants to see what you posted, they can.

PM the moderators, and state your case. You should’ve gotten a PM WRT the posts being flagged. Reply to that as well.

While I agree that flagging your first posts is a bit childish, it’s also childish to repost the flagged posts.

IMO, your reposts are worthy of being flagged. And I’ll go straight up and tell you that I am flagging them.

1 Like

Yeah okay let’s start a flagging war with everyone. I’m in. 29 days passed and many has read my post and Noone complained including you. Now one flags it after 29days and it gets hidden.

It is not okay as it works.Unacceltable, unfair and annoying.

I am flagging you now for flaming and trolling. Despite that you are a long time Arch style member here.

1 Like