Is Manjaro suitable on PC professional office desktop?

What kind of functionality is needed? Who updates the systems? Are office workers allowed to install software? Do you need to have remote desktop options? Are you using things like office 365 or Google suite?

I think Manjaro can be a viable option for professional office work, if all the software that your company needs is available. If you have something that runs natively only on Windows, it might not be such a good idea. There are workarounds, but you can’t necessarily count on them.

Also, Fedora and centos support easy ldap out of the box, so that’s pretty handy for something like this.

1 Like

Yes that is right, Manager-Accounting is also downloadable as appimage from manager.io which i use.

Hibiscus is set up on a plattform named jameica with java and for paypal plugins a german company write the nonhbci plugins. You can use it on windows too.
on willuhn.de :: home of jameica & hibiscus

1 Like

The is a pain, and some things must be learned step by step. Which Printer do you use?

@zoner you are right, he should open a new Post.

2 Likes

Thanks for trying but many people already tried to help with this here on the forum with various suggestions like suggesting to follow multi page long command line instructions on Arch support site (which we Win users are unable even to understand or follow) after AUR package install or buying some Turboprint app after installing it somehow again from AUR build etc…

Brother HL2310D (USB) and Ricoh SP311SFN (Lan) and none of them prints on our Manjaro PCs while both of them did print on Debian stable OS. Both have manual feeder tray too which I need… even more difficult on Linux.

Even in case I’d somehow miraculously succeeded with printing with these two, I will face with the same issues in the future when I replace these printers especially if they are wifi and Android printers etc…

Please ask for help on here, especially about the printing issue. I believe that you can solve this one quickly. So start a new thread. There are people on here that can really help you. As for Gnome, start another thread, and ask about that. I have been using Manjaro since 2012 and have been helped many times.
So, what kind of printer do you have? Start that printer thread NOW! This forum can help and I want you and your mom to start enjoying the software experience.

Sorry, I did not see your response. But give us a try, start that thread. My dear mother taught me a very old saying:

If you don’t ask, you will never learn anything.

5 Likes

Hi, I don’t do much in Python in my current job, but I often feel Spyder gets overlooked as a Python IDE. I think I mainly like it because it’s very like RStudio, and R coding is 99% of my job. I’ve only really gotten into RKWard in the last year, because I bought a Pinebook Pro and I can’t get RStudio to build on aarch64 Linux at the mo. If I ever do, I’ll shove something on the AUR. Having said that, RKWard is growing on me, although I do have a few niggles.

I agree completely. I am not a fan of Python.

1 Like

In a managed environment, absolutely, assuming the only software you need is a browser, a mail client, an office suite and of course solitaire.
As others have pointed it out there are software like Photoshop that don’t have an exact alternative, and don’t run on wine.

Gnome has a very distinct LAF compared to Windows. KDE or Cinnamon could’ve yielded a better transition experience.

1 Like

We can use MS 365 and / or Libre Office but we can also use Lyx to make elegant documents like reports or minutes.

Feel free to write a tutorial about it in another topic.

2 Likes

Yes thanks I will. I did it here but I gotta move it somehow… I donno how…

When you’ll have time:
https://forum.manjaro.org/c/contributions/Tutorials/40

Good list. I also typically add

Youtube - Freetube
notes - Standard Notes (full encryption)
email - Evolution (and in years still can’t find anything as a proper replacement this is so good)
password manager - interesting choices but i have always stayed with Keepass, and more recently Bitwarden for ease of use.

2 Likes

OMG and I have just posted it a min ago under the “printing support” thread… now what to do…? if I delete it than bec of spam algo it cannot be posted again… maybe an admin will move it if I am lucky

Ps.: Linux foruming is as hard to me as installing Arch or printing… :wink:

1 Like

Make a message to @moderators, they can move it and put the good tags.

Done. Got moved by them. Thanks.

I am so happy for you. You are on your way? Be humble and nice to your mom. Start training her to use Manjaro. Rather than just rant, ask your questions and everyone on who will help you.

A word of warning, if these two machines are for work, then keep it that way. If you just want to play, then install a test system on another partition or better yet on another machine.

good luck
gary

3 Likes

Just to add my personal 2ct. to the story: I would NOT choose Manjaro as a desktop system for a “professional” PC environment if this means that it’ll be installed for more than two desktop seats.

Why?

First off, its not about the system stability or reliability or general software support or because it may have or not more rough edges (I don’t think it has). For me Manjaro serves all my computing needs perfectly and the occasional issue that I have is generally perfectly covered by the fine Manjaro forum (or a solution is to be found for Arch elsewhere).

So now, then WHY not? For a “professional” environment I would rather choose CentOS (if I don’t want to spend money) or RHEL (if I have money to spend). I am saying this as an avid KDE Plasma user … The reason for that is, that for me if I run a business and the business relies on desktop machines, I want them to run like pocket calculators. RHEL (and the like) do just that, they get installed and then they only receive security updates. Period. NEVER will they have any kind of update incompatibility issues, they will not receive a monthly GB of updates (and potential issues). Once they have been set up to do what they should do they WILL do so until your office burns down.

If your software developer wants to network with your business with a laptop of his choice and cares for the OS (and the issues) all by himself, let him run whatever he wants (and Manjaro is one of the best of choices…).

3 Likes

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: LOOOL You are kinda convincing… why dont you apply for sales position somewhere?

…until the office burns down LOL :smiley:

DOWNLOADING CENTOS right now! 30 sec to go! Gonna install it tomorrow in the office. Manjaro at home for bleeding edge on power PC and Centos in the office for zero hassle always on.

2 Likes

This sums it up pretty nicely. Manjaro can work as office workstation, but centos is actually built for it. In my experience, office workers hate change, and centos just doesn’t do that. I wouldn’t want to use it for my personal use, but if I need to manage 40+ systems for business, centos makes it easy.

At work I actually use Fedora, because most of our servers are red hat based, but I want to use something newer than centos.

3 Likes