Is it necessary to use VPN?

I notice you seem to be frequently misunderstanding comments; which I can only assume must be a difficulty in language translation.

Discord v0.0.55-1 can now be installed from all official Manjaro branches. This means you can install it (right now) with:

sudo pacman -S discord

Remove any installation/files from any other sources; they are not needed.

Cheers.

1 Like

To update Discord from Manjaro extra repository

pamac update --no-aur
1 Like

Not entirely sure what you’re trying to do, but it’s worth pointing out that you are logging into Discord. If Discord has blocked some features in your country, and they know your account is in said country, no amount of VPN or redirecting will change that. By logging into your Discord account, you are telling Discord who you are, completely circumventing any form of anonymity that a VPN may provide.

1 Like

Discord v0.0.55-1 can now be installed from all official Manjaro branches. This means you can install it (right now) with:

i remove it then i update it i use :

sudo pacman -Syu discord
1 Like

To update Discord from Manjaro extra repository

Thank you bro all extra repository up to date

Not entirely sure what you’re trying to do, but it’s worth pointing out that you are logging into Discord. If Discord has blocked some features in your country, and they know your account is in said country, no amount of VPN or redirecting will change that. By logging into your Discord account, you are telling Discord who you are, completely circumventing any form of anonymity that a VPN may provide.

Thank you bro for the reply, the call feature in Discord is blocked by the local telecommunications company, which is why I need to use VPN to be able to participate in groups on Discord.

I have my doubts on if a VPN is going to help then; I cannot think of why a “local telecommunications company” would block Discord without also blocking VPN traffic.

If you insist on trying, then my recommendation would be to use the VPN tools baked into the desktop environment, if there are any. Gnome is pretty good on this, and I think KDE should be as well. Just import your VPN/Wireguard config file into the network manager, and you should be good to go.

Then ask them why and request them to unblock.

If your telecommunications company is required by law to block discord, then you are breaking the local law when trying to work around it and this forum cannot help you with that.

Please see the forum rules → Forum Rules - Manjaro

At this point, we were able to help you install the latest Discord, as requested, however, It looks like we cannot offer further advice regarding VPN.

Please select the post that helped you the most to solve your Discord issue, and this thread will be allowed to close. Thanks.

I have my doubts on if a VPN is going to help then; I cannot think of why a “local telecommunications company” would block Discord without also blocking VPN traffic.

Thank you for this information. The reason for the ban on calling in Discord by the local telecommunications company is to make the consumer use the regular call from the company because if everyone uses the calling feature in the software, no one will need to call through the local network and this, in their opinion, will make them lose a lot of money in addition to the security I can use the software for chatting only.

If you insist on trying, then my recommendation would be to use the VPN tools baked into the desktop environment, if there are any. Gnome is pretty good on this, and I think KDE should be as well. Just import your VPN/Wireguard config file into the network manager, and you should be good to go.

I need to use VPN, can you show me a server that works well, I was using the open VPN service and it was working fine, but the file stopped and I don’t know the reason, I downloaded many files but it didn’t work, the problem with this service is that you need many attempts to find a server that works well.

Then ask them why and request them to unblock.

If your telecommunications company is required by law to block discord, then you are breaking the local law when trying to work around it and this forum cannot help you with that.

f your telecommunications company is required by law to block discord, then you are breaking the local law when trying to work around it and this forum cannot help you with that.

bro, I need to use VPN because the local telecommunications company forces users to make local calls or make calls through their applications, just because the Botim app works without VPN because it’s their subordinates, and these are unacceptable restrictions, not just in Discord, whats app, and many applications, but what’s about chatting is that it works perfectly without problems.

for example: Mullvad - $ 5,- a month
There are many others, with free trial periods and cheaper if you commit for a longer time.
I have never tried a cost free one - usually you will pay somehow for a service,
and if it is not with money it is with something else. Like your data or privacy.
Which I definitely don’t want to happen when it comes to VPN.

1 Like

for example: Mullvad - $ 5,- a month
There are many others, with free trial periods and cheaper if you commit for a longer time.
I have never tried a cost free one - usually you will pay somehow for a service,
and if it is not with money it is with something else. Like your data or privacy.
Which I definitely don’t want to happen when it comes to VPN

No one wants their data to be stolen, and paying a sum of money is better than losing the data.

Reiterating my previous point: It is possible that the reason why your VPN stopped working is because VPN traffic has been blocked.

In any case, I think this is no longer an issue with Manjaro as such? It seems to be more about your ISP and VPN recommendations now.

Reiterating my previous point: It is possible that the reason why your VPN stopped working is because VPN traffic has been blocked.

In any case, I think this is no longer an issue with Manjaro as such? It seems to be more about your ISP and VPN recommendations now.

I use VPN on my phone and it works fine.

Which one?
(not which phone … which VPN …)
use the same on your machine then …

What is the “problem”?

Most if not all VPN providers allow the use of multiple devices under the same (paid for) account.

Which one?
(not which phone … which VPN …)
use the same on your machine then …

What is the “problem”?

Most if not all VPN providers allow the use of multiple devices under the same (paid for) account.

I have an Android phone, the situation is different on the phone, there are many paid applications, even the free ones are well available, but on the laptop, the situation is different, especially on Linux.

I know. That is why I asked for a name.
To have something to work with/on.
But if it is such a secret - that is ok too.
It just also means that at least I’m totally blind here and cannot recommend any way forward.

To my knowledge, there are not many countries who openly interfere with internet access.
Not even China can prevent VPN connections - if the base system and it’s certificate system has not already been compromised.

After all this time, I still have no effing idea what your problem is. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

But they do.

If you’re the internet provider, you block anything you like. Some requires a bit more work on their side but you’re never save. Also, this is on a company level, not a state level, so the TOS makes this behavior legal.

Instead of telling us that “something doesn’t work”, you could actually post the error messages. Although, I guess you were using “free” public vpn servers, so if they go down, nothing much to do.

A free VPN will 100% store, sell or otherwise use your data. Use a well-known paid provider (and not the ones flooding the web with advertisments).

1 Like

Of course they can block any connection to any particular server/address.
And they likely do.
But they can’t look into the traffic - unless the certificates are also compromised.

100% d’accord with all of this

But something … tells me he is not in China and this is not his problem.