Instructions for Nvidia Proprietary Drivers on Wayland Broke After Update to 515.57

Continuing the discussion from [Stable Update] 2022-07-04 - Kernels, Firefox, Thunderbird, Nvidia 515.57, Python, Haskell:

I got a black screen at boot. I could tell the login screen should have been displayed since the GPU coil whine got louder everytime I moved the mouse. At that point I used the tty hotkey to get an interface. I removed nvidia-drm.modeset=1 from /etc/grub/default and nvidia nvidia_modeset nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm from the modules in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. Then I ran sudo mkinitcpio -P && sudo update-grub and rebooted. Logging into X11 is back but Wayland black screens then returns to sddm.

Same problem here, I switched back to X11 for now. In fact, it’s hard to know source of problem which has me troubleshooting all over the place.

Could this be related to /dev/null /etc/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules?
A while ago some rules there prevented the use of wayland with nvidia, perhaps this file got rewritten.

The solution was to run:

sudo ln -s /dev/null /etc/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules
sudo update-grub

I’d like to test but I don’t have the luxury of time right now :smiling_face_with_tear:, hope this helps.

none of the three 515 drivers work for me. I’m on KDE & X11. I get login screen but after login all I get is black screen so I keep reverting back to the 510 drivers.

The first 515 beta drivers “worked”, except I could only select 120hz instead of my native 144hz and I could not enable gsync compatible. Then the first 515 release drivers gave the same issue as the current 515.57- black screen (or no video) after login.

What is the problem? Nvidia or Manjaro? I am starting to get super pissed off because I have never had an issue with nvidia drivers for years on linux now and these 515 drivers finally fix Guardians of the Galaxy and I still haven’t been able to play it because they don’t work for me.

Nobara uses 515 driver and Wayland works for me with Nobara, but I could not get Wayland going with Manjaro Gnome, despite having had it working with 510 after the enabling instructions were followed. No matter what I tried I could not get Wayland to happen with the current Nvidia driver on Manjaro.