Installing Marjaro KDE on internal eMMC drive

Hi Everyone very new to Linux but a friend gave me an ACER Aspire 1 with a 64GB eMMC internal storage. It has windows 10 pro installed I’d like to wipe it and install Marjaro KDE Plasma can I expect any problems? do I completely wipe the drive on install? I have a backup of the windows system. I have run the Majaro Live from USB and I really would like to install it. The eMMC drive has me worried.
Cheers Davoh

I don’t think there would be an issue at all. It is just another form of storage.

What is worrying you?

1 Like

SSD can work with all modern tech. HDD was made to work with old software Technologies but is also supported by modern tech. eMMC is just a different type of ssd. You shouldn’t have any problems. Especially on an as flexible os as manjaro.

Thank you for your reply
Not sure probably only if the install fails for any reason I want to be able to get back to a windows install.
Do a let Marjaro delete all my partitions?

I really like the look and feel of Marjaro when I used the Live usb. Do I let the install just do its work is there any actions that I may stuff up.

Make sure before installing that in your BIOS, you disable:

• fast boot
  • secure boot

If you have no options in BIOS, then go ahead and install and see if it works.

About your partitions, if you have just one unique 64GB disk in the machine and want only Manjaro on the computer, yes, select Erase Disk during the installation, it will configure everything properly. I think with a low spec machine like that it would be preferable also to enable SWAP (I think it is at same step in installation process), I recommend a SWAP file instead of dedicating a partition for the SWAP (this way no wasted space on the disk, the file will be dynamically created when needed).

Go to this site. You may be looking for system image backup. You can backup from there if you mess up something.

That may result in a bit more disk space, but a considerable performance difference with a partition. It’s not worth it.

There aren’t much you need to know about. Watch this video and do exactly as it says.

All it didn’t show is how you select the usb to boot from BIOS. You can choose your usb from BIOS boot device options.

He doesn’t have a mechanical hard drive. I don’t think there will be a difference on his eMMC disk. Also, the SWAP is there ‘in case’, and allocating 10% more or less of the total disk space for something that he will maybe rarely need… is not optimal in my opinion. I’m not sure now if what is available in the installation process is the same as what I was thinking, but I’m referring to the SWAP file managed by systemd-swap, it takes no space at all when you don’t need SWAP (basically almost all the time), and creates the SWAP file when it needs it and increase its size when needed. It is perfect solution when after installation you have less than 50 real GB available, you don’t really want to reduce this disk space more I guess. The ‘considerable performance difference’ is yet to be proven in his utilization, we don’t really know what he intends to do with his computer, but I assume regarding these machine specs he’s not going to do crazy stuff, probably web browsing, watching movies…

//EDIT: so if during the installation the SWAP file option is NOT systemd-swap (may need someone who knows to tell), just do not select SWAP at all in my opinion, and after installation just install and configure systemd-swap.

The laptop will be used for web browsing , emails and a little office work. I have Windows 10 and my wife uses Linux Mint PC . The portability is handy. I would use this machine for learning Linux more than anything. It has 4gb ram, Celeron N3450 cpu and a SD slot, I have a 500gb 2.5" hdd (not SSD) attached. Not having much to do with eMMC which is basically a SD card soldered to the motherboard I did worry about how it would partition during install. All reply have been positive thanks.

Will watch thanks

Both disabled now.

I have made a whole disk image backup in case

omano

4d

Make sure before installing that in your BIOS, you disable:

• fast boot
  • secure boot

If you have no options in BIOS, then go ahead and install and see if it works.

About your partitions, if you have just one unique 64GB disk in the machine and want only Manjaro on the computer, yes, select Erase Disk during the installation, it will configure everything properly. I think with a low spec machine like that it would be preferable also to enable SWAP (I think it is at same step in installation process), I recommend a SWAP file instead of dedicating a partition for the SWAP (this way no wasted space on the disk, the file will be dynamically created when needed).

Well I have successfully installed Margaro 20.02 without a hastle, enjoying it.

2 Likes

Great!

2 posts were split to a new topic: Installing on Acer Aspire emmc