Installing a different file manager than files

After being on KDE and Cinnamon for months, I finally settled with Gnome.
But Files/Nautilus is lacking so much functionalities…

I installed Nemo and it works and integrates perfectly fine within Gnome.
There was just a tweak to perform in Dash to Dock.

I’ll say you may install whichever file manager you’d want. Maybe avoid Dolphin, it would be awkward in a Gnome system.

ok, thanks for all those answers! I was a bit unsure how to do it and didnt find something specifically about manjaro gnome. So I can just install it normally from add/remove software? Do I have to uninstall Files then?
One time I managed to somehow destroy my entire operating system just by installing or uninstalling something there so nothing was working anymore, so now I want to be carefull with something as fundamental as the filemanager haha :slight_smile:

just in a regular files window. ive set it to sort after name and then in orders the files in a useless way like b,c,d,f,j,l,m,p,r,w,b,g,m or in another folder its 0,d,e,g,p,s,z,v,f,g,h,m,n,p,q,s,t,w
so its a little bit alphabetic, but not enough for my taste

I tried that in my first attempts.

But Files/Nautilus is still imbricated within Gnome environment, and without it, the Desktop view doesn’t work.

Just let it there, the new installed File manager will take precedence.
As for me, thanks to Nautilus-admin I think, the Desktop view is working (icons on Desktop), even if folders open with Nemo.

I just installed Nemo (and optional Nemo plugins) from add/remove softwares and that’s it.

According to specific use cases, you may have to tweak a little, but overall, it’ll work by itself.

1 Like

ohhh it seems to consider/separate upper-case and lower case letters!?
This doesnt make any sense to me. Can this be turned off?

Hi @Nutzelfant,

That is standard behaviour in Linux.

Basicalle an L is not the same as an l just like to humans an l is not the same as an L.

And just like humans, the capitals come first. So its ‘L’ the ‘l’.

1 Like

ok, but at least now I know how to deal with it :slight_smile:

Yes, you just need to install whichever you want

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications#File_managers

anybody got pantheon to work? Somehow it didnt take effect after installing and rebooting. I’m pretty used to and love the column view like in mac os.
Nemo seems to work already though. Seems nice so far, but now quicklook with space bar, arrghhh

Don’t mix DE within one single user account.
Create a separate one for each.
… still all the installed software is available - and might impede assessement of how each one would work if installed as the only option

I’m struggling with what that might actually mean.

DE - Desktop Environment? meaning Gnome? Or the file browser? sorry I’m stupid…
I wanted to just use one new file manager. But since falav said he didnt uninstall files because its imbricated in gnome, I kept it installed aswell.

what I said about taking effect after rebooting. I thought its like replacing files somehow and not showing up as a new application…

1 Like

DE indeed meaning Desktop Environment
NOT specifically Gnome
there are many
Xfce, KDE, Gnome …
and then there are Window managers like Openbox, Fluxbox, Icewm … -
configured to be usable more easily using parts of … Xfce and by scripts …

1 Like

They are talking about Pantheon Files not Pantheon the DE. You can install Pantheon Files from our repo without the DE.

1 Like

ah and yes I think pantheon works! I was confused because it was not called something with Pantheon in the application name, but just “Files” again, but with a different icon

And did it fulfill your needs comparing to Nautilus?

I know

Hmm, Pantheon seems very minimalistic barely any funcions ^^…
Nemo has some advantages, but the Quicklook preview plugin was not working greatly.
I’ll probably try around a little with different browsers. I guess one always has to adapt about certain details…

Dolphin & PCManFM are the ones I use a lot and love if you want to check them out. I like them because they both can do dual panel view.

which is a very useful thing to have

I still always prefer the terminal compatible things - like “mc”
It just works - and everywhere.
The graphical tools/functionality of graphical file managers
are hard to use (for me)
since I already know how to do all of that in … “mc”