Installer closing abruptly

Trying to install Manjaro version manjaro-kde-22.1.0-230421-linux61, the installers is abruptly closing
My system HP- Pavilion

please look into it

Previously, this happens if you’re having less than 4GB of memory.

The only way to look into it is with your assistance. Can you start by posting your system details while booted into the live environment?

The contents of the Calamares log file after it crashes would help to diagnose the problem also.

~/.cache/calamares/session.log

This is getting old - the installer may fail if your system memory is less then 4GB - and it has been the subject of several topics - so you would have found similiar using the search function.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/calamares-installer-frequently-crashing/135226

:white_check_mark: Above has been resolved with the current installer - see below edit

Check the result from this to verify if it is the same in your case

grep 'Out of memory' - < ~/.cache/calamares/session.log

There is no easy solution as most requires manual intervention - but point-and-click users often find the very thought of manually interacting with a command line is offending.

EDIT:

The issue when the system went OOM during install has been resolved.

For the sake of verifying if it is indeed Out of memory error I tested the latest minimal installer in VirtualBox.

manjaro-kde-22.1.0-minimal-230421-linux61.iso

I assigned

• 2 GB virtual memory
  • 2 VCPU
  • 20GB disk

The booted system has the following (partial inxi output)

Partition:
Swap:
  Alert: No swap data was found.
Sensors:
  Src: lm-sensors+/sys Message: No sensor data found using /sys/class/hwmon
    or lm-sensors.
Info:
  Processes: 143 Uptime: 7m wakeups: 162 Memory: 1.93 GiB
  used: 1.55 GiB (80.7%) Init: systemd v: 253 default: graphical Compilers:
  gcc: 12.2.1 clang: 15.0.7 Packages: pm: pacman pkgs: 1150 Shell: Zsh v: 5.9
  default: Bash v: 5.1.16 running-in: konsole inxi: 3.3.26

I have chosen to use ext4 for both my tests - with and without swap - and on the first test

• Swap (no Hibernate)

The second test

• No Swap

In both test cases the installer went all the way with no problems as can be seen from the Summary below

Summary

This brings us back to your issue, for which you need to provide more info for your fellow forum members to - perhaps - point you in the right direction.

2 Likes