Installed NVIDIA Packages, now Linux won't boot

install prime last so install order

1. video-nvidia-440xx
  2. nvidia-440xx-utils
  3. opencl-nvidia-440xx
  4. nividia-prme

for the main driver (the first package) I think that’s the mhwd -i pci command everything else is pacman installed.

I’ll try tomorrow as I’m kinda tired now. Thanks a bunch for the help! I will reply in case anything goes wrong.

1 Like

I don’t exactly see why the nvidia-prime package is necessary with nvidia only configuration.

Yeah like I said it’s not on my system either but OP said their laptop needs it so I thought “ok well reinstall it last”

@pobrn To be honest I don’t know why my system requires the utils package but found out when fixing this driver issue myself that it does.

The utils package contains the nvidia X driver + glx server for the Xorg server integration, cuda, EGL, GLES, GLX, optix, vdpau libraries, documentation, utility programs (nvidia-smi, nvidia-xconfig, nvidia-settings) (and many others).

wow Nvidia should’ve included xorg integration in the main driver. I wonder how they expect users to use the driver without the utils package.

These packages are created by the distribution maintainers, NVIDIA has nothing to do with it. They offer all necessary software as a single package on their official site.

1 Like

It’s just as I feared. Installed the packages you told me to install then couldn’t install the hybrid ones. My screen went black once again. I am certain now that my pc requires only the hybrid version of intel/nvidia graphics

Excuse my asking, I am indeed fairly new but how do I locate a program if I want to run it through the terminal? I am trying to launch an AppImage Application

Well yeah the 440xx packages are instead of the hybrid driver. I didn’t realize your computer needed that particular driver. I thought like me you were running the 440xx driver with no issues before the 450xx update. I don’t have much experience running the hybrid driver. My only advice would be to use mhwd to remove 440xx and install the hybrid also probably having to reinstall nvidia-prime after if needed.

I did everything necessary after seeing that it wouldnt boot and booted it up later as i normally would. Thank you have a good one!

Appimages are self executables, meaning they contain the whole app + everything it needs to run + run executable. Because of that, you just download appimage file and open it, that’s it. You can move the appimage file around and it will always work. The con is, it won’t update with the system, you need to download newer version. Manjaro usually has an app that detects appimages when run for the first time and asks you if you want to create .desktop file for it, meaning, it will create an executable shortcut in menu. Of course, it uses the path to your current file so when you move it, the shortcut will be broken.

As to finding other apps, it depends on the DE. I use Plasma, so I open start menu, find an app, right-click it, choose “Edit Program”, then Program tab. There is box with executable command. The first word is the command. Usually it’s an app’s name, so for firefox it will be firefox, for kdenlive it will be kdenlive, etc. Sometimes the launch names could be untypical, but for 90% you can just guess.

Screenshot-2020-09-13-15-02-22

Then you open a terminal, type:

firefox

and it will run firefox and at the same time show what is happening under the hood. If you close terminal, it will close the app as well.

If you don’t use Plasma, you can find .desktop files (that are recognized by start menu of various DEs), that are sort of shortcuts to run a program in:

~/.local/share/applications/

Open those files in any text editor and see how they are build. You can modify them or create any .desktop files manually. Usually programs create them automatically. Those files also contain an executable command, named shortly: “exec”

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.