Installation of Manjaro

Hello!

I gave Linux a try after watching some recent LTT videos. It took me several days to learn few things about the OS. I found some great youtube channels about Linux. Distrowatch is also an amazing site (to look through all the distros) and a very functional one. Though it could be a tiny bit more aesthetically pleasing. :slight_smile: Later I tried Manjaro and Mint (both in the Cinnamon flavour). I must say, that I was very impressed with the work you have done! The UI (Cinnamon) was very pleasant and the whole functionality was on professional level, mostly comparable to Windows or MacOS! Vivaldi is my browser of choice, so I was of course very happy with its inclusion into the system (or rather its cinnamon version). :slight_smile:

I had one minor advice. There is still a bit of space to make the installation process even easier for noobies like me. During the partitions part the “Erase disk” could use some more explanation as to what the options mean (I know that its on your wiki page, but for general ease of use it could be even there - in the installation menu). Besides that it was flawless and much faster than any Windows installation or even most Windows updates! :wink:

I later had some issues with my graphics card (mobile 1070 on Asus GL502VS) with finding proper drivers and hardware acceleration. But my situation was very specific, because even though technically speaking the notebook has hybrid graphics, the internal intel graphics card is not active. To make things even more complicated I ran Manjaro in VirtualBox. :slight_smile: I gave it a try for few hours (even played with terminal), but I failed miserably. As I said it is I think a pretty specific problem, so no need to focus on it (I had the same issue on Mint). It was just me trying the OS. I am now too much tied to Windows 10 (Xbox/PC gamepass, OneDrive as my main cloud and OneNote as my main note app) to leave it. Even more because I was using Windows Phone for several years.

But again I just want to express my admiration on what you have done so far! (Cinnamon) Manjaro is perhaps the most beautiful OS I have ever seen. It is pretty well laid out. And when Microsoft ends my Win10 support (because I have 6700hq processor - so I am not eligible for Win11) I will surely seek Manjaro out again. :slight_smile: I think Manjaro has a great future ahead of it as a rolling release distro of choice (for stable release I would give the vote to Mint). Keep up the good work! :wink:

2 Likes

Welcome to Manjaro and the forum. Well, that the terms “stable” and “rolling release” do not necessarily have to contradict each other, Manjaro has already proven quite impressively in my opinion, at least as long as you stick to the stable branch as a simple end user (like me). :slight_smile:

True. :slight_smile:

Btw I tried the Nvidia variant of Pop!_OS and there everything works flawlessly after mounting the iso (hardware acceleration is there). And then when I tried installing it, it got stucked on 70% multiple times. :slight_smile:

As far as your nvidia issues it sounds like you don’t have the nvidia drivers installed. If you are run directly on hardware you can install the nvidia-dkms drivers since you have hybrid graphics. Just search for nvidia-dkms in your Pamac package manager. If you are running a VM you are stuck with the VM drivers. You could do a passthrough to get direct access to the hardware, but it is difficult for a noob.

Apparently the main issue was hardware acceleration, which was by default turned off in Virtual Box. With few more adjustments (like giving Virtual Box 128 MB video memory) I have my QHD resolution as well. :slight_smile:

Btw I am now trying the KDE version. It is a good one once you change the basic font to something else (Nimbus Sans UKWN is ok) and make the main panel a bit smaller and transparent.

And after few days I broke it! :slight_smile: I changed mirros without runnin “sudo pacman -Syyu” in the terminal. To be fair I did not see anywhere, that I have to do this. But I might have missed it. Perhaps this can also get more noob-proof? :slight_smile:

That’s because you didn’t look. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

IMPORTANT

Tip
Every run of pacman-mirrors requires you to syncronize your database and update your system.

sudo pacman -Syyu

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Pacman-mirrors#IMPORTANT

Hi,

I am now too much tied to Windows 10 (Xbox/PC gamepass, OneDrive as my main cloud and OneNote as my main note app) to leave it.

If you are looking for alternatives to M$ software, you might be interested in these :

• For Onedrive : Nextcloud
  • For OneNote (never heard of that before) :
    • markdown (used in this forum) : I started using it this year, and frankly I really wish I knew it back in 2014-2015, you can do A LOT by combining it with pandoc
    • Org-mode : Very similar to markdown but you’ll need emacs to use it at its full potential

Both markdown and orgmode take literraly 20 minutes to learn (see this video to see how it works)

I know about that. I read it afterwards. But that is not my point. More noob proof would be to have it mentioned in the gui, when you change the mirrors. :wink:

Well, what is? :thinking:

See the edit. :wink: Btw even better would be for that to run automatically. Without me using the terminal.

If you are using a GUI (pamac) those features are there.
If you are using terminal commands then 2 things - Was it not mentioned wherever you learned it, and if using commands (especially system commands using sudo) you have access to as well as are expected to ascertain documentation.

I was running the cinnamon version. If it was mentioned there in the pamac then my bad, I did not see it. Though I dont think, that I missed any warning etc. I found the wiki link few seconds after I broke it.

Btw I do know about the wiki. I really did not realize, that changing the mirrors would break the installation. And so I wasnt checking the wiki beforehand. This is my noob perspective. Feel free to tell me, if that is invalid.

No harm done though. I had it in VM. I can always install it again. Manjaro just cought my interest so I am trying it out. :wink:

It is easy to watch videos about linux. But the preferable way to learn about linux is to read before doing something. This is the reason why there is an arch wiki and an manjaro wiki.

The downside on videos is: When they are outdated, they are not removed. The wikis are mostly kept up.
The forum is even more up to date. And you are able to ask when you don’t understand something. So you are able to inform yourself before you break something.

Right. :wink:

As far as I remember, I clicked only on “Refresh Mirrors List” button. So for future reference… Afterwards you have to use the “sudo pacman -Syyu” command, right?

Btw I tried the GNOME, KDE and Cinnamon version. And all of the were pretty well done. So respect to their respective teams! :wink: I settled on the Cinnamon version, because it was closer to my windows experience and it is very smooth and clean. And of course because it has its own wonderful Vivaldi paint. :slight_smile:

By the way. What kernel do you use ?

Provide Information:

I would have to reinstall it to look it up. But it was the latest one that wasnt realtime/experimental. :wink:

Sorry mate, I missed your post. Nexcloud seems like a good option! It has an android app as well, which is a must for me. So everything great there. :wink: And there is an option for a provider, that already gives 8GB free storage, which is enough for a fresh start.

Markdown also has its own dedicated Android app. So that is also a viable alternative. :wink: And I can always use all the Microsoft apps through my browser.

Actually, you don’t need any specific app to use markdown since it’s just raw text, you only need to create a file with your favorite text editor, call it whatever.md and you can start writing :ok_hand: (same with org, but again you get more from it within emacs)

Also with nextcould, you can set up your own server (which is what I do), which means absolutely no restriction as long as there is disk space

Ok, thank you! I will keep it in mind. :wink: