Install manjaro cli to emmc on orangepi4lts?

Ok, I tried some more experimentation and got a working Manjaro booting from emmc. I replaced the bootloader on the emmc with the bootloader from Armbian and now there are no partition errors and it boots fine. I ran manjaro-arm-installer, and then ran the following to write the arbmian bootloader to the mmc

#!/bin/sh
dd if=./idbloader.bin of=$1 seek=64 conv=notrunc status=none
dd if=./uboot.img of=$1 seek=16384 conv=notrunc status=none
dd if=./trust.bin of=$1 seek=24576 conv=notrunc status=none

using the files from the orange pi 4 lts image for Armbian

/usr/lib/linux-u-boot-current-orangepi4-lts_22.11.1_arm64

So the problem seems to be the Manjaro u-boot will not work with the orange pi 4 lts emmc

There is a big difference in size between the Armbian bootloader files and Manjaro

Armbian

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  217372 Jan 30 11:29 idbloader.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4194304 Jan 30 11:29 trust.bin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4194304 Jan 30 11:29 uboot.img

Manjaro

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  159950 Jun 11  2022 /boot/idbloader.img
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1031768 Jun 11  2022 /boot/u-boot.itb

The Armbian ones look to be BSP based, where Manjaros are mainline.

Any next step where I could help the team with getting the Manjaro bootloader working?

I will test it tomorrow.

I think i will move opi4lts to use mbr instead of gpt if thats the issue.

I have had tested images on emmc on opi4lts. I will do it again.

I already tried using MBR with the manjaro boot loader and it did not make a difference. When trying that scenario, instead of getting GPT partition errors, I got unknown partition errors. I also tried a partition layout with a single linux partition instead of a boot fat partition and linux ext4 partition with both MBR and GPT, both also failed. Anxiously awaiting to see if it works for you

Maybe it’s just the version of mainline uboot.

We’ve had several issues with newer uboots recently.

Maybe we should try an older version, @spikerguy ?

1 Like

If you give me some pointers to download and extract old packages of the u-boot, I can try older versions next week

A post was split to a new topic: I’m trying to get Manjaro installed in the Emmc on the OP4 LTS