Install latest hplip plugin automatically when hplip updates

Install foo2zjs-nightly
Install system-config-printer (If it is not KDE, where there is already a setting to add a printer)
Add a printer

Thanks. Puzzling if I use the Manjaro Add/Remove Software App to build it was unsuccessful and it aborted.

With command line: pamac build hplip-plugin it build successfully. Will with this, hope Manjaro Printer Settings will recognise HP LaserJet 1020 and be able to print.

Earlier the hp-setup -u, started the HP Device Manager GUI but it did not find the HP LaserJet 1020 connect via the USB Port so could not complete the installation. Very puzzling.

It’s been a long time since I’ve used hplip to set up a printer, but IIRC, there are steps you have to take to get it to recognize a USB printer (start with printer unplugged, for example).

I don’t understand why Manjaro devs do not remove hplip and replace it with foo2zjs. Yes, foo2zjs does not work with “some” printers, but hplip works with none. So, which one is the better choice here? By the way, Ubuntu based distros automatically detect my printer and it just works. Guess which driver Xubuntu uses?

Do you have foomatic-db installed? It’s a dependency of manjaro-printer.

You’re also free to install foo2zjs-nightly or foo2zjs-minimal-nightly from the AUR.

Disclaimer: I have an old Canon AIO with no ink, so I’ve not tested any of the above.

I had no idea about foomatic-db package until a minute ago. I’ve tried to install nightly build of the package and not minimal. It didn’t work. I could not make system-printer-configure package work. It kept saying there was no cups argument or something. It seems like a bug that exists in many distros.

The thing is, I don’t want to mess with my system in order to print some documents. I get tired from reading all that material already. I don’t want any more work than I have to. If printer driver breaking even after I took my time to fix it, I can’t focus on my studies.

Hi Yochanan,

Yes, I have foomatic-db-engine installed but foomatic-db is not installed. In Manjaro-ARM I don’t think manjaro-printer is available.

I am currently using able to startup HP Device Manager but it just cannot locate the printer and only once(more than 20 tries) it identified/recognized LaserJet 1020 the installation failed.

FYI, I did manage to install build hplip-plugin using “pamac build hplip-plugin” but somehow it made no difference.

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.20.11)
    Plugin Download and Install Utility ver. 2.1

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
    This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
    under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Plugin Download and Install Utility ver. 2.1

Checking for network connection...
    Downloading plug-in from: 
    warning: manjaro-arm distro is not found in AUTH_TYPES
    Receiving digital keys: /usr/bin/gpg --homedir /home/jfl/.hplip/.gnupg --no-permission-warning --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0x4ABA2F66DBD5A95894910E0673D770CDA59047B9
    Creating directory plugin_tmp
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing HPLIP 3.20.11 Plugin Self Extracting Archive..............................................................

Plugin Installer ver. 3.0

Plug-in version: 3.20.11
    Installed HPLIP version: 3.20.11
    Number of files to install: 64

**note: Using PyQt5**
**    warning: manjaro-arm distro is not found in AUTH_TYPES**
**    qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 874, resource id: 10530186, major code: 40 (TranslateCoords), minor code: 0**
**    Plugin installation failed**
**    error: Python gobject/dbus may be not installed**
**    error: Plug-in install failed.**

You have a point. This is only in Manjaro. The only time I got HP Device Manager to recognize the LaserJet 1020 is when I time it in such away when I press “Refresh” and Off and On again, this one time it recognizes the LaserJet but still I was not able to install the hplip-plugin successfully.

The hplip-plugin that I build with “pamac build hplip-plugin” (/usr/share/hplip/prnt/plugins/ hbpl1-arm64.so or lj-arm64.so) does seems to be recognized by HP Device Manager.

Once I confirm the new u-boot is not one of the culprit causing issue, will give foo2zjs-nightly or foo2zjs-minimal-nightly a try.

Edit:
To install foo2zjs-nightly is with this command:?
pamac build foo2zjs-nightly

After that I can use “Print Setting” to complete the installation?

I manage to build with instruction suggested but HP Device Manager did not recognize the plugin?

What other steps you need to do in order for HP Device Manager or Print Settings to recognise the hplip-plugin to complete the Printer configuration?

I’ve just come across a ranting post on Reddit. It seems that I’m not the only one who fed up with their shitty drivers. When I get the chance, I will buy a Canon printer. They seem to be working better on Linux.

I’ve tried installing foo2zjs-nightly. I was able to add and configure the printer using cups web interface. However, when I turn the printer off, I needed to restart something. It probably is cups. Sadly, GNOME’s printers interface in which I restarted printer service does not exist in XFCE iso of Manjaro. So, I probably will be installing GNOME iso for now.

Hi eronis,

Did you manage to get foo2zjs-nightly to work with HP Printer that required hp-plugin?

Received a official response “Manjaro-ARM is not supported by HPLIP. Hence you are seeing this error.”. So for now, I suppose any HP Printer that requires the proprietary binary HP-Plugin will not work in Manjaro-ARM.

shivani mandora <question694820@answers.launchpad.net>
Mon 1/11/2021 6:35 AM
Your question #694820 on HPLIP changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/694820

shivani mandora proposed the following answer:
Hi ,

Manjaro-ARM is not supported by HPLIP. Hence you are seeing this error.

-- 
If this answers your question, please go to the following page to let us
know that it is solved:
https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/694820/+confirm?answer_id=0

If you still need help, you can reply to this email or go to the
following page to enter your feedback:
https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/694820

You received this question notification because you asked the question

Just an update on trying to get HP LaserJet_1020 to work on Manjaro-ARM. HPLIP is not supported in Manjaro ARM and foo2zjs is NOT available in aarch64 architecture.

Anymore ideas?

Building foo2zjs-nightly...
==> ERROR: foo2zjs-nightly is not available for the 'aarch64' architecture.

[jfl@MNJROGTKPRO ~]$ pamac build foo2zjs-nightly
Preparing...
Cloning foo2zjs-nightly build files...
Checking foo2zjs-nightly dependencies...
Resolving dependencies...
Checking inter-conflicts...

To install (3):
  perl-ipc-run3    0.048-8     (Required By: foo2zjs-nightly)  extra  29.6 kB
  paper            2.3-2       (Required By: foo2zjs-nightly)  extra  11.1 kB
  psutils          2.04-1      (Required By: foo2zjs-nightly)  extra  28.8 kB
To build (1):
  foo2zjs-nightly  20200917-1                                  AUR

Total download size: 69.5 kB
Total installed size: 151.2 kB

Edit build files : [e] 
Apply transaction ? [e/y/N] y

Downloading perl-ipc-run3 (0.048-8)...                                          
Downloading paper (2.3-2)...                                                    
Downloading psutils (2.04-1)...                                                 
Checking keyring...                                                        [3/3]
Checking integrity...                                                      [3/3]
Loading packages files...                                                  [3/3]
Checking file conflicts...                                                 [3/3]
Checking available disk space...                                           [3/3]
Installing perl-ipc-run3 (0.048-8)...                                      [1/3]
Installing paper (2.3-2)...                                                [2/3]
Installing psutils (2.04-1)...                                             [3/3]
Running post-transaction hooks...
Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...                                             [1/2]
Warn about old perl modules                                                [2/2]

Building foo2zjs-nightly...
==> ERROR: foo2zjs-nightly is not available for the 'aarch64' architecture.

Update: Finally able to get HP LaserJet 1020 to work in Manjaro-ARM with foo2zjs but not from AUR but from http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/foo2zjs.tar.gz.

It has been a very long journey to finally got it to print. If you are interested please refer to How to install Printer Driver For HP LaserJet 1020. There are a few dependencies that need to address first.

1 Like

Yes. ZJS plugin work. Right now I’m on Fedora and the combination of foomatic-db-ppds and foo2zjs packages seems to work my printer very well. I’m writing about HP Laserjet Pro P1102. If you want to get the best support for your printer, go for something based on Ubuntu. You can go for Fedora as well. When configured, Fedora seems to make printers work better than any other distro. Switch to Fedora if you can help it. Otherwise, play around with foomatic and ppds.

Thanks for the info.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.