Install Help - Bootloader / Grub

I have an xps-13 (2016?) that came with Ubuntu on it. F12 menu at boot could get me a boot menu to allow me to do things like boot other disks, like the USB install media I used to install kde/manjaro. I went thru the manjaro installer via usb stick, using the gui installer to install. I did use “the architect” console app to configure wireless for the install. I let the installer reparition the drive.

After finishing the install. The F12(EFI?) boot menu shows an entry for Ubuntu that is clearly stale (doesn’t work) and an entry that says “GRUB” … which also doesn’t work. I think the “GRUB” entry is from an abondoned attempt to install Arch originally … before trying Majaro.

The installer did work, because I can boot up the install from the usb installer … because the usb installer menu has an entry for “dect efi bootloaders” or similar that once I select it shows me 2 entries, one of which launches grub … and allows me to boot my system.

I’m new to EFI systems and haven’t done a linux install in a while. I need help getting my system to boot without the usb drive step. Presumably I can do this all from my working install and just re-install grub in a specific way?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Start from here

2 Likes

This did help! In my case, the problem was solved by running the correct efibootmgr command

[dhaskew@xps13 ~]$ sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/nvme0n1 -p 1 -L "manjaro" -l "\EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi"
efibootmgr: ** Warning ** : Boot0008 has same label manjaro
BootCurrent: 0006
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0009,0001,0000,0002,0003,0004,0005,0006
Boot0000* ubuntu
Boot0001* GRUB
Boot0002* Diskette Drive
Boot0003* M.2 PCIe SSD
Boot0004* USB Storage Device
Boot0005* CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
Boot0006* UEFI: Samsung Flash Drive DUO 1100, Partition 2
Boot0007* UEFI: THNSN5512GPUK NVMe TOSHIBA 512GB, Partition 1
Boot0008* manjaro
Boot0009* manjaro
1 Like

now to figure out how to remove the bogus entries for “ubuntu” and “GRUB” …

I was able to do that with efibootmgr as well.

ls /boot/efi/EFI

output = ?
BOOT manjaro ubuntu

sudo rm -Rf /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu
sudo efibootmgr -b 0000 -B
sudo efibootmgr -b 0001 -B
sudo efibootmgr -b 0008 -B

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.