Install-grub: a new way to keep your EFI/MBR in-sync with grub package

It looks that its working with my Laptop MBR/Bios, the logs showing no errors but im still not 100% sure which Grub version are running and loaded actually.

Is there a way to proof which Grub version i have currently in use right now?

Edit:
That tool is not working/auto triggering the reinstall grub function with Pamac GUI.

Atleast not straight after install… but i hope it will be triggered after the next stable update, without using additional input like:

$ sudo pacman -S grub

What about manjaro-grub-reinstaller?

Because we know now after Philm’s explanation that the default/old grub-update routine, only gives partial updates for grub.

grub-install -V

Just because some users neglected it, or read something where the author was confused, does not mean it was not documented or widely understood.

(ex: How to remove plymouth? - #12 by cscs)

update-grub was never ‘updating the version of grub running on every power on’ … maybe that is a weakness of the nomenclature. But … its nothing new.

1 Like

How you determine that a user don’t know how grub was installed so that the update could be realized without user interaction?

Please, keep in mind there are not only blody newbies and senior experts using Manjaro. If it’s automatically triggered with a grub update I would want to see the outcome of the analysis and specific proposal before execution, if it’s just another tool - how to get unexperienced users to use it?

Maybe its nothing new… but only for the minority of Manjaro users. The same you could say for the pacdiff discussion (few month ago) where alot people learned to merge this pacnew files to maintain our system.

Plymouth: It’s all in the Wiki, like most everything, but few want to actually read it.
– The spoonfed copy/paste generation.

1 Like

In Grub menu (that won’t show up while booting by default, you need to hit shift during boot) hit the key E and your will see the Grub version on top. I reinstalled Grub and went from v2.06rc to 2.12-3 as suggested in the Stable Update thread known issues [Stable Update] 2023-12-23 - Kernels, Grub, Mate, Deepin, Cinnamon, ICU, KDE Frameworks - #2 by philm

1 Like

Yes, we could, and the same thing applies there as here - just because it is new to some does not mean its actually new … or has not been around for years.

Or with introducing pacdiff - did it stop people from arguing with me or chewing me out? No again … even if there were existent guides and I was only acquainting these users with utilities that already exist for a framework that had been in place for years.

… I dont know what the point is though. To mull over this I mean … some people read the manuals, some dont … that is also nothing new.

2 Likes

I just thought the name manjaro-grub-reinstaller would fits perfectly,
since the Manjaro wiki also is named with the reinstall Topic:

GRUB/Restore the GRUB Bootloader - Manjaro

So its less confusion, nothing more… nothing less :slight_smile:

Btw. This command is actually not showing me, which Grub version is currenctly loaded…
because it showed me the equal grub version, but my PC isn’t updated at this moment:
grub-install (GRUB) 2.12-3

So i try booting into the Grub Menue and Press E, what @1efaf7d71a8637c6800a suggested.

Ha! Sounds like something @Ste74 would come up with. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Why so technical? What about

manjaro-grub-reindeer ?

:deer:

1 Like

At least it is a Christmas package.

Why not something simple, like… HansGrubber…

One of the Die Hard movies was Christmassy.

Yippee ki yay…

TODO: Die Hard-athon

1 Like

Well, here is a version the user has to interact and it is very verbose. The output would be like this for an EFI system:

sudo sh ./install-grub-debug
[D] GRUB 2 EFI-x64 found
[D] Found EFI-Directory: /boot/efi
[I] Found EFI Bootloader: /boot/efi/EFI/Manjaro/grubx64.efi
[I] Found EFI Fallback: /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi
[I] EFI Fallback file matches EFI Bootloader
[D] Install cmd will be: grub-install --no-nvram --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Manjaro --recheck --force
Do you want to proceed? (yes/no) y
ok, we will proceed
Grub will be installed on: EFI
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.
Update UEFI Fallback file: /boot/efi/EFI/Manjaro/grubx64.efi
ok, we will proceed
[D] Updating Grub Menu
ok, we will proceed
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.7-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-6.7-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-6.7-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.6-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-6.6-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-6.6-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.4-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-6.4-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-6.4-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.3-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-6.3-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-6.3-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.1-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-6.1-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-6.1-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.0-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-6.0-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.19-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.19-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.19-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.18-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.18-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.18-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.9-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.9-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.9-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.4-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/amd-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.4-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.4-x86_64-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done

And like this on a BIOS installation:

sudo sh ./install-grub-debug                                                           ✔  32s  
[D] GRUB 2 MBR found
[I] Scanning for GRUB 2 installation ...
[D] JMP instructions: eb 63
[D] Initial JMP opcode: eb
[D] Initial JMP operand: 63
[I] GRUB 2 installation found on: /dev/sda
[D] Install cmd will be: grub-install --target=i386-pc --boot-directory=/boot --recheck --force /dev/sda
ok, we will proceed
Grub will be installed on: MBR
Installing for i386-pc platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.
[D] Updating Grub Menu
ok, we will proceed
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.6-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-6.6-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-6.6-x86_64-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
Root filesystem isn't btrfs
If you think an error has occurred, please file a bug report at "https://github.com/Antynea/grub-btrfs"
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
Found memtest86+ EFI image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.efi
done
2 Likes

grub-pajama-packager

Now back to our regularly scheduled QA thread…

Let’s save the sillyness for the Member Hub (yes, I know I’m guilty as well)

1 Like

I like this script, I think the users are used to acknowledge what is proposed but at least a more advanced user sees what’s going to happen.

Warning: Foreign fallback bootloader found.
Replace with Grub? (yes/no)

We only update fallback bootloader when it matches.

Most likely grub-reinstall might also work …

Confusion about update-grub

If you look for articles you find this:

Most expect to actually update grub to the latest version of it. grub-install --version only shows the version of the binary file to install grub, but not which grub version is installed on your MBR/EFI. For that you have to go to the grub menu or pay attention on booting your system.

update-grub is just this: Ubuntu Manpage: update-grub, update-grub2 - stub for grub-mkconfig

please can you remove kernel 5.10 ?
your motherboard is not supported with this version,
and add kernel 5.15 as i suggested here