I uninstall Pipewire and after that I can't log in

My login screen is not continuing to go inside my desktop after I uninstall all Pipewire related in pamac. I thought that my system can run without it because I have pulse audio but this happen.

How can I fix this? How can I login again?

What I’d do:

first I’d re-install what I just de-installed - reversing the change.

Since you can’t login (to a graphical session)
use a TTY and pacman to do it.

ALT + F2 to get a TTY
pacman -S pipewire
to reinstall
(that is just a guess - I don’t know if that will take care of it)

You can examine /var/log/pacman.log
to see what got deinstalled recently

cat /var/log/pacman.log

1 Like

Lesson learned, eh? Next time don’t ignore warnings when removing things. :wink:

Some packages require pipewire regardless of what sound server you’re actually using. You still need it even if you’re using pulseaudio.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why people want to remove files that are a part of the OS? I think the best thing to be safe is re-install and mark it as a lesson learned. Good luck. :+1:t3:

It’s not broken beyond repair - just a part of the sound system got removed - no need for a re-install of the whole OS.

I don’t understand this. I thought you just choose one of them. It’s either Pipewire or Pulse Audio. I have some warnings in pamac like what I have when I remove Pipewire and everything is working still. But when I see those warnings in Pamac, its so many not like the other.

And yeah, frustrating as it is, your are right… I learned again.

Thank you. Lesson learned indeed.

I remove Pipewire because I don’t remember putting it in my system. When I checked my audio adjusting thing in lower right of the desktop, I think its a pulse Audio and that’s why I think, maybe this makes my microphone sounds wrong (I am finding ways on how to improve my budget microphone).

Thank you.

I’ll try this one before checking the solution tick box…

Pipewire was probably installed as a dependency for another package installed on your system
Most users did not notice when Pipewire packages were first installed in 2019

AFAIK core package pipewire (and dependencies) cannot be uninstalled on KDE
Or if user has installed obs-studio or telegram

But Pipewire can be disabled to continue using PulseAudio

2 Likes

Thank you for some explanation about having Pipewire unknowingly on my system. I can’t trace my steps on how I get it here but your comment make sense. I am just trying to find ways to make my budget microphone to sound better. Sound system in Linux is another complicated beast to tame.

I can’t reverse what I did that’s why I just reinstall my system.
Can I ask a question if I may?
How can I know if what I am currently using is Pipewire or PulseAudio?

I’ll try your command later. I’m just waiting for your answer.

You can check which sound servers are active with this command:

inxi -Aa

That will display information about audio devices and a list of sound servers

For using PulseAudio servers should look like this:

Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: yes
  Sound Server-4: PipeWire v: 0.3.38 running: no

But if system shows both sound servers running like this:

Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: yes
  Sound Server-4: PipeWire v: 0.3.38 running: yes

Pipewire service must be disabled using the command in previous post to continue using PulseAudio

Alternatively all Pipewire packages needed to replace PulseAudio can be installed with this command

pamac install manjaro-pipewire

and only Pipewire would be shown on system

Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.38 running: no
1 Like