I thought I had seen a How To, to set up Manjaro for Music Production

But I can’t find it.

Did I confuse this with some other article I read elsewhere, or is there actually one? If so can someone point me to it.

There is a member which setup Manjaro for music.

I remember both Openbox and later Xfce being used.

Search for @mr_glitch.

One topic is Home Studio with RecBox

1 Like

Hi @tracyanne,

I think this might be what you’re looking for:

1 Like

If you are using JACK for audio production, see this post for basic realtime configuration
Configuring JACK2 Virtual Audio Routing - #3 by nikgnomic

I also have a BASH script that can help with realtime configuration specific to Manjaro
ManjaroRealtimeConfig.sh · gist.github.com/nik-gnomic
but script may need updating for the final part about CPU governor

1 Like

That may be what I was looking for, I will have to give it a proper read.

EDIT:

RecBox Studio Backup is a simple tool made for backing up recording session and DAW config files with rsync help.

It doesn’t appear to be what I am looking for. It seems to be something to help with current workflow, that would assume the other stuff is already installed.

No, but thanks

I do with some things, but the tutorial isn’t required. Thanks

EDIT:

Background…
I used to use Ubuntu Studio, but as with all thing Ubuntu, they are moving to Snaps, and I dislike Snaps, for several Reasons.

I’ve recently been using AV Linux, which is now a layer on top of MX Linux, but I have been experiencing some issues, mostly when recording with Audacity, which is my preferred recording tool.

For some reason the new tracks record ‘faster’ than the existing tracks, so I have to shrink the new track to fit with the existing tracks, it a PITA.

So I installed Manjaro on the machine, and tested Audacity on it, and the recordings and currently playing tracks seem fine they are all at the same speed.

The Problem…
The problem I’m trying to solve is why the Manjaro Install fails to recognise the Digital Streams from my Mixer unit, while the AVLinux/MX Linux install does. The Manjaro install sees only the Analogue Streams.

So I thought I had seen an How To on the Forum that might help me work out what is missing.

EDIT:

I’ll try a newer RT Kernel, when I get a chance today, as I think AV/MX uses a newer one.

This guide Manjaro Pro Audio gives one perspective, and here is another Build Audio Production Environment in Manjaro Linux.

If you prefer Videos, How do I prepare Manjaro KDE for audio production? goes above and beyond a simple ‘how to install required software’, and it is this guide that I’d recommend.

Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks. I dislike Videos for How Tos. But beggers can’t be choosers.

Github guide from 2021 is using realtimeconfigquickscan script that has been archived and replaced by rtcqs script. but relatimeconfigquickscan-git and rtcqs are both available from AUR

Sophomoric blog from 2020 is using a smaller set of realtime configurations from Professional audio - ArchWiki
( sudo systemctl… :unamused:)

Unfa’s KDE-specific video is also from 2020 but is using the ‘original’ howto
System configuration [Linux-Sound] – wiki.linuxaudio.org
(Unfa can delete youtube messages but cannot delete forum posts The state of Linux audio and JACK)

Does ALSA show digital output or input subdevices in aplay -l; arecord -l ?

For an external hardware mixer connected via USB (or firewire) I would suggest checking out linuxmusicians.com forum. You could also ask AVLinux developer (GMac) about Audacity issue on there

If you use ALSA more than JACK check out Ardour forum

1 Like

Yes, the video was from 2020. It seemed to cover all the basics, nonetheless, and well executed, as always. I’ve seen several of this guys videos spanning the last few years; usually found while searching for something else.

I recall his dismay with DAWs available (in 2019), and his vague plans to use Manjaro, or another arch-based distribution, to setup his own. The procedure in the video, despite being a little dated, isn’t remarkably different from several others I’ve seen; however, generally more in-depth than the average.

I’d like to see such a guide here as a text tutorial (updated to reflect recent changes, as needed); detailed sufficiently for everyone to follow; I’m sure it would be a well-received addition to the Manjaro Arsenal.

Then why don’t you make it? You’ve got the vision, you’ve got the mission. Call it, “Mission Wikipage!” or “Mission Manjaro!”.

Sorry, can’t help. Don’t use, never have used sound on my Manjaro.

The last time I setup a DAW was AV Linux (v6, I think); a modified version on Debian (long before the MX adoption). I won’t create any tutorial unless I can absolutely say I’ve done it myself on Manjaro.

I do however, have a couple of other tutorial idea’s in the pipeline, which I’ve noticed need an overhaul for today’s technology. :wink:

And that’s why I hush with providing audio-related assistance.

Probably a good stance. Pipewire, I know little about, and that’s how it shall remain until I find a need. For the time being, as long as I have audio that works, that suits my currently restricted usage (most of my gear is in storage).

1 Like

Links posted to my previous comments contain most of what I was considering for a tutorial, but there was not much interest from other users once I had posted the basic outline

pro-audio users usually just want to know about Manjaro-specific stuff and don’t hang around on here to get into deeper discussions.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.