I removed wayland with its dependencies and now it boots into terminal

Hi, I have X11, but then I installed Wayland, but my computer started to freeze because of that I logged back with X11 and I uninstalled wayland using

sudo pacman -Rcns wayland

which apparently removed important dependencies:(

After I rebooted it, it boots into the terminal with no GUI. I am writing from another laptop and cannot copy-paste the Inxi output. let me know if there is info needed.

I tried to install wayland back but it doesn’t work. Also I tried updating the system it says failed to synchronize all databases.

you basically nuked your system…
some wayland packages are integrated into the system…
if i run the Rcns wayland command it lists on my machine 666 packages to remove…
boot into live usb of manjaro, and try to chroot, but i doubt it will work:
manjaro-chroot -a

Yes, and I’m sure it told you which packages depend on them before you agreed to remove them anyway.

Hi,

Not sure if it’s possible, but maybe you can try reinstalling it with pacman -Q ? The package is uninstalled but it should still be in your cache : /var/cache/pacman/pkg/wayland-XXXX.pkg.tar.zst

if i run the Rcns wayland command it lists on my machine 666 packages to remove…

Over 700 for me (including stuff like mpd), and I don’t even use wayland

For future reference, never use the -Rc flag with pacman unless you really know what you’re doing. The correct way to remove the Plasma Wayland session is:

sudo pacman -Rns plasma-wayland-session
1 Like

The terminal you are in I call console. In console, you can try sudo systemctl start gdm and obtain some informative errors (like missing parts of your system).

You did unusual things. Usually both Wayland and X11 are installed, Wayland is selected by default but you can choose X11 without removing Wayland. This is what you will do (after reinstalling if necessary).

He/she uses Plasma, which uses sddm instead of gdm.

This entire statement is true for GNOME. Manjaro Plasma edition has only the x11 session installed by default.

I dont know why I keep seeing people with removal commands that combine -c and -s

But let it be known …

That is a bad idea … and I cant think of any scenario where it should be used.

(I have seen it in some random websites that purport to have ‘tutorials’ … but is it really just that?)

EDIT.

Maybe not from here.
But it looks like someone at some time added this to the wiki

3 Likes

Probably written by a Gnome user.

No matter how Wayland came to exist on any particular distribution, keeping it installed is an acceptable choice, especially given that it’s constantly evolving. I did, with Wayland on KDE, for possibly 6-8 months; ping-ponging back and forth each time I was curious as to how it was progressing.

Now, I use Wayland exclusively, of course with X11 remaining installed for some (background) application compatibility, as needed.

I look forward to a time when X11 can be laid to rest after such a lengthy service to the BSD/Linux/Unix Communities.

1 Like

To restore your system’s default package set - boot to terminal - login as root

Then use the Recreate the live ISO edition recipe

1 Like

Or mapare as here;

2 Likes

Note that you can see what was added when you installed wayland and what was removed when you used -Rc in /var/log/pacman.log.

1 Like

I did add some Warning already.

If you want, i can remove this paragraph completely, because a wiki is not a place to show off what all you know, but to help people. And -Rcs does NOT help any one.

:footprints:

Perhaps add a link to more in depth information; along with a warning. Otherwise, as you suggest, it doesn’t help much in this context. :man_shrugging:

Done

Please check it out. I kept the -Rcs information but deleted the bad use case example.

This should really only be used in exceptional circumstances such as when removing an entire desktop environment and trying not to leave anything behind.

What about this? Use the 2nd paragraph as the warning:

The most nuclear option is pacman -Rcs packagename.

Use this with extreme caution, or don’t use it at all, as -Rcs will remove every package that depends on packagename regardless of whether a package is needed for something else. This could render Manjaro unusable.

Looks good.

@andreas85 → One correction:

[-]
Use this with extreme caution, or don’t use it at all, as -Rcs will remove every package that depends on packagename regardless of whether a package is needed for something else. This could render Manjaro unusable.

[+]
Use this with extreme caution, or don’t use it at all, as -Rcs will remove every package that packagename depends on regardless of whether a package is needed for something else. This could render Manjaro unusable.

Now, can you translate that into 24 languages?
Just kidding.

If for example, you uninstalled waylan on December 26, you can try this as root:
cd /var/log/
pacman -S $(/usr/bin/cat pacman.log|grep "2023-12-26"|grep " removed "|cut -d' ' -f4|sort -u|tr -t "\n" ' ')

Can you explain the point of removing Wayland?

I have X11 and Wayland, you can choose one when you sign in…

It’s good to have both, I’m trying to learn to live with Wayland, slowly building up my ability to drive the desktop with ydotool and mouse-actions to replace my beloved X11 gestures.

I’d just go for a fresh install if I were you. I’m sure you’ll have backups to help get your valuable stuff back, right???

You do have backups right???