I need help with general forum guidelines

I read this Guidelines for seeking support in the forum?
That is helpful also.

However, even I use a lot of time at a computer, I almost newer take part any social media or discussion forum. I have no experience of forums, so I have a big difficulties to do it right.

I have asked technical support from this forum 4 times now. 3 times I felt uncomfortable. First one was easy, because there was not many participating.

Reasons are:

1. I don’t know how to reply in that manner, that discussion layout stays clean. See e.g. my last discussion from this link Cannot find the meld binary it was a mess.
    I tried reply in 2 different ways, but it was a mess. I just don’t know how to do so that string looks clean. Despite helpful advices during discussion. I did try hard but…

2. After I settle a support request, I don’t know if I should be available all the time and reply fast. Can I just put my question in and check back e.g. after 12 hours? Or is it then already closed by a speedy administrator? Then there is reminder that I should remember to mark my question solved.

3. I feel that answers are often too short or simple. I just suppose to do like advised without even short description why is it so. In addition forum guidelines say that questions should be also short and simple (not exactly so, but it is how I understood it).

Am I too difficult to help with this?

I am logging out now and coming back to check if there is any replies appr. 6 h later.

2 Likes

In my opinion, as long as people can see what is replied to and the language is mature and understandable, it’s fine. Quoting (like I just did) can help in that regard.

As this is a forum and not an Instant Messaging service, there is no need to reply fast. Being off for hours, days and even weeks is fine, but it’s common courtesy to check in on your request once in a while, to see if it has gotten responses. Some moderators are fast at “suggesting” a solution for you, but you are free to unmark the solution they chose and select what you think best solved it for you. I encourage marking a solution as soon as you know a reply helped you fix your issue. :slight_smile:

Manjaro is a technical OS and some basic understanding of how the system works is kind of assumed when using it. So basic things like how to install/uninstall packages and enable/disable services should be researched on your own. If a solution demands a more tailored solution, people will often write it out, unless they are uncertain about how your system is set up (eg. which DE you use, what kernel you are on etc).

Nah, we all start somewhere. And as you have had limited exposure to how technical forums work, we will try and help you as best we can.

13 Likes

Right. I try to quote you here. Here is many options how I am able to make quotation, so I don’t know which button to click.

1 Like

Highlight what you want to quote, then click on " Quote that pops up. You can do that as many times as you like. That’s the easiest way imo.

1 Like

Like this?
If there is many participators, then I do the same on every ones reply?
So not to click “response” button down right? Quote is better way?
Actually there is “response to this message” and “response to this thread”. Not to use these?
I don’t have english forum language so may be those are not exactly right words.

Yes you did right

When answering a specific question it is often best to quote it if there are a lot of things going on.

1 Like

I’ve marked this answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (If you disagree with my choice, just send me a personal message and explain why I shouldn’t have done this or :heart: or :+1: if you agree)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please don’t forget to come back to your question after your issue has been solved and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

I really believe that I learned this technic, finally.
Not logical at least for me, because I have to ignore those replay-buttons, but this is totally okay for me.

Thank you for your patience, for whole community.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.