I can't mount external NFTS hard drive

Hello everyone!
I was using my 1.8Tb NFTS external hard drive just fine before, have been editing some files in the drive itself, has always just plugged it out without unmounting. Recently it stopped mounting, I plug it in, but cant mount.
Now, by searching the internet I found out that you have to write the following command sudo nftsfix /dev/sdXX, but I dont have nfts-3g package. I cant download it with sudo pacman -S nfts-3g.
Can you help me out, please?

It should already be installed. But you need to update your system first.

Yes, I have nfts-3g. System updated.
I cant use nftsfix, although the tutorials I watched were on Ubuntu.
What I need is to fix the problem and mount my nfts hard drive. I dont know how to do that.

Make sure that Windows Fast Boot and Hybrid Sleep are disabled.

The information you gave me is abundant and clear, but I cant read/understand it right now. Thank you for helping, though.
It is getting late for me and I am feeling tired (not that it is an excuse not to continue fixing my problem).
As a different solution I just thought I could boot from Systemrescue and just recover some essential files from external drive to free partition on my PC, maybe even write external drive into a different format if that could help me avoid nfts error in the future.

If you do need a shared filesystem between Windows and GNU/Linux, then perhaps it is better to use exfat for that. ntfs has always been — and will continue to be — a problem child. :man_shrugging:

I mean I am optimising Manjaro for my needs, I am exploring it, introducing new stuff, troubleshooting ever since I got trojan on Windows 10. I decided to just yank all Windows files and put it into external hard drive. If I will have an opportunity I will rewrite that hard drive to exfat.

Well, if you don’t need Windows at all anymore, then you might just as well make it ext4. At least it’s a Linux-native filesystem, and thus it supports file ownership and POSIX permissions. Microsoft filesystems do not.

Alright, that will do :+1:
I think I heard Windows can also read ext4.
Anyways, I will make an update if I figure this out.

There is a third-party ext4 driver for Windows, but it’s no longer being maintained. :man_shrugging:

You mean ext2fsd? Yes that one is unmaintained.

@Jakus The only third-party driver I know is from Paragon, but you need to buy it (a life time license). Linux File Systems for Windows | Paragon Software, but you can use it for 10 days as a test version. I personally use it and have no problems, when I need to use Windows.

1 Like

I did not fix the problem in conventional Linux way, I used Windows. I have decided to work with what is familiar to me.

I installed Windows 10 really quick on a new 50Gb partition to use some of its tools for hot fix (Windows takes ~>20Gb). I ran error checking with fixing and it seems ok.

Going back to Manjaro it says that I am not authorised to mount this hard drive, for which I do the following:
lsblk - I search for my drive to mount (sdc1).
sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/ - then I mount it. It takes a while, but after that I can access my drive.

In any case, I might need to reformat the drive to ext4, if you just unplug the USB from the laptop, instead of “unmounting” first, the drive can’t be mounted back again.

Mounting devices using the mount command requires superuser otherwise simply use the removable device option in the systray as doing so will mount your user’s runtime folder /run/media/$USER/uuid-or-label

If you need it to be portable - use exfat - it works with nearly every operating system.

3 Likes

This is normal. You always have to unmount it before unplugging it. Not doing so will lead to an unclean/damaged filesystem because of the buffered content still in RAM that never got flushed out to disk, and thus you are unplugging a device with open files on it.

I did not know that. That is one good habit, saving from a headache with a hard drive.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.