I can't delete any files

5 days ago I installed manjaro 21.1.4, today I sat down to work and when I try to delete any file from partitions other than the system one, the option does not appear (it is as if the writing options were blocked … but no, I checked and they are activated)

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

1. Please read this:
    How to provide good information
    and press the three dots below your post and press the :pencil2: to give us more information so we can see what’s really going on.
    Now we know the symptom of the disease, but we need some more probing to know where the origin lies… :grin:

2. An inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width would be the minimum required information for us to be able to help you. (Personally Identifiable Information like serial numbers and MAC addresses will be filtered out by the above command)
    Also, please copy-paste that output in-between 3 backticks ``` at the beginning and end of the code/text.

3. The output to:

ls -al ~/Documents
    ls -al /path/to/NonDeletableFile

would be helpful as well.

:+1:

P.S. If you want to notify me that you did provide this information, please :heart: this message and I’ll come back and have another look.
P.P.S. If you enter a bit more details in your profile, we can also see which Desktop Environment you’re using, which exact CPU/GPU or Kernel, … you have without typing it every time

Hello @casan and welcome :wink:

What writing option do you mean?

1. rw in fstab?
  2. Write permission of the filesystem?
2 Likes

In addition to @megavolt’s hints, check if the filesystem was remounted as readonly (filesystem errors)…

Most likely the partition(s) in question is NTFS (Windows Fast Startup/hibernation/sleep enbled). To get write access - reboot into Windows and disable Fast Startup and Hybrid sleep and do a clean shutdown.

In case of Linux filesystem (newly formatted) the permissions is root only and you need to adjust for your usecase.

On newly formatted Linux filesystems you set the permissions on the mountpoint or you transfer ownership to your user.

1 Like