I am on Windows 10 and can't create the bootable USB with manjaro on it

Hello! I had try to write a bootable USB with rufus with eatcher with easy2boot - nothing helps :frowning: After the usb was written I tried to boot from it but there is only the GRUB title on the left top and no the grub menu. Why itā€™s too hard? How I can make bootable usb?

Hello :slightly_smiling_face:!
When using Rufus, did you write the Image in ISO Mode or DD Mode?
Because for Manjaro, you have to use DD Mode, if you use ISO mode it wonā€™t work.

Just use dd: Burn an ISO File - Manjaro

sudo dd bs=4M if=/path/to/manjaro.iso of=/dev/sd[drive letter] status=progress oflag=sync

1 Like

or install ventoy and throw all iso you want to boot with into it and call it a day

4 Likes

switch to folder where you have extracted ventoy:

Install ventoy to the USB disk:
sudo sh Ventoy2Disk.sh -i /dev/sdX

copy the .iso file (s) to the USB drive. Ventoy can handle multiple .iso

Yes I had read about it! But there is no so functions! There is only warning that usb will be erased but no dd mode.

Iā€™m from Win 10.

I will try this way! Thank you!

1 Like

Shouldnā€™t you then ask on M$ community sites how to create a bootable ISO on a USB, instead of on a Linux community?
You can only expect solution to be performed on Linux here, not how to do that in M$ā€¦

Here is a page to help you nonetheless:

PS: I changed the category of the thread also :wink:

2 Likes

I tend to agree with @TriMoonā€™s comment as whilst weā€™d like to help, it must be noted that many on here (including myself) are unfamiliar with current iterations of the Windows OS.

Iā€™m not sure if dd can be used directly in the Windows Command Prompt for example; maybe the one with elevated privileges if the utility exists natively in a Windows environment? I (blindly) assume it does if Rufus can use it. This might be an option for you.

Thank you for your help! But Iā€™m asking here because the problem only with manjaro iso :expressionless: :pensive: :frowning_face: With another linuxā€™s iso all fine. So I jst thought that some on on the manjaro forum can know what to do with it.
And unfortunately this way is not working :

Iā€™ve got an idea as a workaround to get you started. Boot one of those ISOs and then use dd or any suitable image writer utility from there to write your Manjaro bootable USB. A kludge but it gets you out of the chiicken-and-egg situation.

Last time I used Rufus must have been around 5 years ago, under Win7, when I first created Linux (mainly Mint) ISOs. I will have to make room for a Win10 VM to try out the current iteration. All my Manjaro ISOs have been ā€œburntā€ from within a Linux system.

1 Like

Thank you! I will try this way!

I highly doubt that, eg. do not believe that, because an iso is an iso.
If you burn an iso the correct way it does not matter what is inside it.

2 Likes

Shouldnā€™t you then ask on M$ community sites how to create a bootable ISO on a USB, instead of on a Linux community?
You can only expect solution to be performed on Linux here, not how to do that in M$ā€¦

Here is a page to help you nonetheless:

actually everyone was welcome here so far, and such comments so far superfluous.
I am only a member, but for years Manjaro user and I think such comments just do not belong here.
You can offer a solution without posting Windows Communitie typical comments.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s an idea, how about you offering the solution instead of criticizing other Linux members?

1 Like

Totally agree with @hanny00 : sending OP to a W$ forum is rude and superfluous.
Criticizing his comment while not offering anything is just vainā€¦

The Ventoy solution that has been mentioned several times is the one I used yesterday, remotely helping a friend who had a problem withā€¦ his W10.
He downloaded Ventoy & Manjaro, 5 minutes later he had a working live USB, 30 minutes later he was running a Manjaro (after live testing a Debian ).

1 Like

https://alternative.me/rufus

1. How would it be if i asked something else which is also non-related to Linux,
    fe. about some medical issue.
    Would that be welcomed also in your opinion? (I doubt itā€¦)
  2. I did offer help by providing a link.
  3. Iā€™m also just a member like everyone else here, we all are members of the same Linux communityā€¦
    Forget those badges, they mean nothing, in my case it just shows iā€™m very active at this forumā€¦
  4. Lets not derail the topic even more with a side discussion shall weā€¦

If any reply helped you at the end to fix your issue then mark it as solution and lets end this thread, thank youā€¦