[How To] Install run Manjaro ARM on Amlogic TV Boxes with S922X - S905X3 SOC

The black screen could be due to login with KDE-Plasma-Wayland, try switching at login with KDE-Plasma. I had the same issue the first time I use a different Manjaro-KDE-Plasma image.

1 Like

Just to share the information with the community, that helpt me so much:

• The dd of the image has failed while using a commun SD card and stuck after around 800-900Mb.
  • I have used an USB stick and another sd card, with the same outcome.
    When I tried the same with an ext4 formated harddisk the dd of the image worked perfectly.
    My guess is, that the driver of the sd and USB stick is still unstable!!

Not really but it is true that some sd card act weirdly on arm device running linux, as arm support is still very much work in progress so we will have to wait for arm to become mainstream architecture then we can hope to see highly stable releases.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

1 Like

Hello,
I followed the operation guide Beelink Forum to flash, but I got stuck in the fifth step, Nothing is displayed when I insert the sdcard,

My Environment is:
1, SA9H S/N Code GT King Pro TV Box;

2, Download the Mainline .xy image and use Ecther to flash(I’ve try directly flash .xy file and unzip the .xy file to flash the .img file) to my 64G TF card (I guarantee that the SD card is normal, because it has been tested in the Android system), then put it to my SD Card holder;

3, USB Flashing tool’s config is “Erase Flash (Erase All) + Erase Bootloader”, I’ve unplug the usb cable once I see 15% (loading the Recovery step);

4, HERE I PUT MY SD CARD INTO THE SLOT, BUT NOTHING HAPPEN!! I connected HDMI to my monitor but it did not display anything;

Hope someone can point out my mistake, Thx!

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Can you explain me how did you flash the image to sd card and the exact name of the image you used.

Did you verify the image after downloading it from the link using md5sum?

Which sd card did you use?

SD CARD ADAPTER IS : Lexar C10/UHS-1 SD Adapter for microSD;
microSD Card IS : BANQ Extreme Pro 64G
I’ve checked the md5sum after downloading the img.xz file(full name is “Manjaro-ARM-kde-plasma-gtking-pro-Mainline.img.xz”) from the Link you post in #1 (Mainline version, not the alpha version you post in Bee-link Forum). I use Etcher to flash it into the SD card and It can boot from SD card using the method you post in #1 but can not flash into the EMMC using the method you post in Bee-link Forum.

AND THERE IS NO “install-aml-emmc.sh” FILE IN MY /boot folder, I dont know why…

When I unplug the USB cable, should I also turnoff the power and plug in the SD card to restart?

How did you try to flash it to emmc?

Because this file is only to be used by non-mainline boot process.

For the mainline you just have to copy the same
Manjaro-ARM-kde-plasma-gtking-pro-Mainline.img.xz on the sd card and boot from sdcard again.
Next you can flash the copied image using sd commands or Manjaro -Arm-flasher pkg to the emmc.

Hope this will help you.

Hi Spikerguy,

Does Manjaro-ARM-kde-plasma-gtking-pro-Mainline.img.xz comes with the new u-boot? Else if the image has the old u-boot and he flashes from the SD Card to the emmc it might cause Kernel Panic.

1, For the “Mainline” and “Alpha” Version image, I use Etcher to flash the image into the SD Card, then erase the emmc(I don’t know if the erasing is successful. In short, I just unplugged the USB Cable when the I see 15% progress in the USB Burning Tool), and put the SD Card into the Box(If I didn’t unplug the power adapter, There is no response at this step), unplug the power adapter and re-plug in, then the system will boot from the SDCard’s Manjaro, though I don’t know how to flash it to the emmc…

2, For the Vim3 Version you post here, I have not successfully even boot it from the SDCard (using the 1st steps).

Hope there is a video tutorial for this flashing steps, Thx!

Ok as long as you’re able to boot into sd card with Manjaro you’re half way successful :slight_smile:

Next copy the same Manjaro-ARM-kde-plasma-gtking-pro-Mainline.img.xz file to sd card and boot from sd card.

Next is to download the flasher tool and flash the copied image to emmc Using the flasher tool if you are not familiar to dd command.

I will try to prepare a video tutorial but have been lazy. :grimacing: looking for some motivation. :joy:

Thx! But which flasher tool should I download?manjaro-arm-flasher?

Yes.
Launch it select image file, select mmc drive to be used then flash.
Make sure you select the right mmc drive and so not touch mmcboot drives.

Good luck.

The ‘manjaro-arm-flasher’ couldn’t be loaded(When I try to open the GUI, It crashed instantly) ,even in terminal, it shows some error like: “No such module named ‘PyQt5’”, I’ve try to -Syu all the updates, But now I can’t enter the desktop(The Plasma session crashed)…such painful… :frowning_face:

PS: Finally Flash in! the python-pyqt5 doesn’t fit the flasher’s requirement, replace with python-es2-pyqt5 make it worked. Do I have to install some drivers to get better performances of the machine? The Screen keep flickering now and always missing some words(not font),my locale is zh-CN but it keep missing words when I switch it to en-US.

Looks like your using panfrost for acceleration.

Pass this command
sudo echo "QT_QUICK_BACKEND=software" >> /etc/environment

Reboot.

Thank you, according to your tips, I have been successfully run the system on emmc, but when I switch to the OPENGL3.1 renderer, it becomes a black screen(only cursor exist) after logging in. and I don’t know how to switch it back to XRender renderer in CLI (Ctrl + Alt + F3)…I think this version is still not usable enough, so I hope to use a stable version in the future(Mainly I want to use this machine to run Jellyfin server for hard decoding), Thank you very much for your help!!

Panfrost is not stable yet hence I asked to use software acceleration.

Also jellyfin can only do software acceleration as there is no vpu support for any arm gpu/vpu yet.
I run jellyfin server on nanopi neo plus2 with just 1gb ram and have been using it happily since almost a year now on) 720p h264 only.
You dont need desktop environment to run server services.
With gt king pro you should be about to do 1080p easily.

Unfortunately… My videos are basically 4K

Is there any way to flash back to Android after flashing in Manjaro(into emmc)?

Yes just use amlogic usb burning tool from beelink forum link.
There is a tutorial also.
Select your device model from the given link

http://bee-link.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=197

Actually I’ve try that but…it still step into the Manjaro. no matter I use the USB Cable to flash or SD Card, nothing change…