How to enter Unicode symbols?

How on earth can I enter Unicode symbols in KDE???

I am so used to ISO standard that is implemented in GTK world by entering Ctrl+Shift+U+<code>.

For example, how to enter long dash U+2014?
I memorized about dozen of codes of most frequently used symbols but I can’t enter them in Kate or KWrite.

On my Belgian keyboard, I use the compose key — which I’ve set up as the right-hand Win-key — in combination with the - key for typing the em-dash. I hold the compose key and then hit - three times quickly.

However, all of the Ctrl+Shift+U+number combinations do also work here.

Why can’t I use Ctrl+Shift+U+<code> on my freshly installed Manjaro KDE?

I’m guessing that your keyboard layout and/or keyboard model would not be set up correctly. Because — again — it works here. (Generic pc105 international keyboard model, Belgian AZERTY layout.)

P.S.: I don’t know whether it makes a difference, but I use the numerical keypad for typing in the numerical code. You press and hold Ctrl+Shift, and while holding them down, press U, followed by the numerical code. And then you release all keys.

1 Like

Hi @Sergei1,

According to this page it is with:

Ctrl + Shift + U

And I just tested Ctrl + Shift + U, 2, 0, 1, 4 and got:

1 Like

I have generic pc105 keyboard QWERTY layout. I can’t enter unicode symbols.

Same:

$ localectl
System Locale: LANG=en_ZA.UTF-8
VC Keymap: us
X11 Layout: za
X11 Model: pc105

and

https://i.imgur.com/dTi20Ue.png

Edit:

Try installing the ibus package:

pamac install ibus

Edit #2:

Found out here that it’s feature of ibus not Gnome/KDE, but checked, and I don’t seem to have it installed…

$ pamac search --installed ibus
libgusb  0.4.6-1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        extra
GObject wrapper for libusb1
hidapi  0.14.0-2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        extra
Simple library for communicating with USB and Bluetooth HID devices
libusbmuxd  2.0.2-3                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     extra
Client library to multiplex connections from and to iOS devices
libusb-compat  0.1.8-1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  extra
Library to enable user space application programs to communicate with USB devices
libusb  1.0.26-2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         core
Library that provides generic access to USB devices

…so now I’m confused…but something about this seen to work…

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

If you think it’s only me who have this problem, you are wrong

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1095339/how-can-i-input-unicode-characters-in-kate-and-konsole-on-kubuntu-18-04

https://superuser.com/questions/74763/how-to-type-unicode-characters-in-kde

So I am confused.

For example:
to write the scientific notation of carbon dioxide
CO₂
I write CO
and then I press CTRL and Shift and the letter u (for unicode)
and then release those two keys
(the letter u will appear underlined)
immediately afterwards - no space(!), I enter the unicode code for subscript 2 (which is 2082)
… and then I press Enter - to get the result

H₂O (Water)
works the same way - press Enter after you put in the code for the subscript to H
then write the subsequent O

Here, for example, is a reference for all the codes - you can also copy/paste directly from there:

₂ - subscript two (u+2082) copy and paste - Unicode® symbol

1 Like

Well, between this, the strange problems with your clock and the strange sorting issues in dolphin, it would appear that you have somehow managed to set up your system in a rather unconventional way. :man_shrugging:

And by the way, putting a :-1: emoji on the posts of people trying to help you and who tell you that things do work normally for them is quite antisocial.

That method works as well. I can use either method… :point_down:

• Press and hold Ctrl+Shift, type U, type four-digit unicode, and release Ctrl+Shift again

• Press and hold Ctrl+Shift, type U, release Ctrl+Shift, type four-digit unicode, and press Enter

2 Likes
  1. How can I spoil installation process? I just installed OS as I do many times.

2. Thumb down means your advise doesn’t work. If you see some offensive thing in it then it’s your problem not mine.

press CTRL and Shift and the letter u (for unicode)
and then release those two keys
(the letter u will appear underlined)
immediately afterwards - no space(!), I enter the unicode code for subscript 2 (which is 2082)
… and then I press Enter - to get the result

I repeat it – IT DOESN’T WORK

It is actually conceived/interpreted by most people as an indication for “bad advice” or even “wrong advice” - that is why you got that reaction.

It does here - as I just did exactly that to write that post. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Listen, my friend, there is absolutely no need to be rude and confrontational towards the people trying to help! That attitude won’t get you any assistance at all.

1 Like

Maybe your installation ISO was corrupted — did you check the SHA sums before putting it on the USB/CD/DVD?

Oh, and Manjaro is a rolling-release distro; you only have to install it once, and then you simply keep it updated.

In that case, your interpretation of internationally accepted communication conventions appears to be just as strange as the issues you’re having with KDE Plasma.

Try keeping your ego under control. You’re the one asking us for help, remember?

1 Like

That (the second) is the way I tried to describe but not quite accurately. :grinning:
The first one feels slightly awkward but is actually quicker and, of course, works as well.
Thanks!

1 Like

Sure, I checked SHA512 checksums. After downloading ISO, and after writing in Ventoy partition, and after inserting USB in new PC (with capabilities of Ventoy ifself by pressing M button). Check sum were the same in all steps.

It works for 3/3 people trying to help you. So, it doesn’t seem to be anything KDE-related. That, combined with the other problems @Aragorn mentioned you’re having:

…points to some king of configuration error. Most likely your locale.

1 Like

Installing ibus and rebooting doesn’t help.

1 Like

You could try KCharSelect to input unicode characters. Launch it, type the necessary numerical code into the search field and copy-paste found character. It’s a little bit longer than typing a code directly in a text editor, but if you don’t need to input unicode quite often it’s a viable solution

2 Likes