How to cleanly, safely switch from nvidia to AMD Radeon graphics card?

Hello! I’m almost ashamed to admit this but I’ve been using Linux since 2003. I’ve always, ALWAYS used Nvidia graphics cards. My current Manjaro installation is several years old now and I have greatly enjoyed this system. My issue. I recently purchase an AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 professional graphics card, which has gone against my long-standing love of Nvidia. I’m replacing an aged Nvidia GeForce 660 GTX card. How can I cleanly switch cards without disrupting my system? I’ve done some research and some recommend purging the nvidia drivers and deleting the 20-nvidia.conf file located in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory. Others have suggested that it’s okay to just switch cards without doing anything. What is the best approach for a pain free switch? Also, I’ve read the Arch Wiki about AMD cards and there are some custom xorg.conf settings recommended. Should I make those before swapping the cards? Finally, this is a professional workstation card. Can I add in whatever AMD PRO features that I may need on top of the open source driver in order to take full advantage of this new card? I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Probably just remove the nvidia profile from mhwd …
to be double-sure you can make sure to remove anything in xorg.conf.d or mhwd.d
Then you may also wish to force-reinstall the video-linux profile in mhwd after the card is installed.

Yes … it is the preferred method, as opposed to using ‘amdgpu-pro’.
see this:
AMDGPU - ArchWiki
Also this:
Installing AMDGPU PRO by Archwiki

2 Likes