How to change gnome login background?

Hi, everyone. I’m just a beginner to Linux, and I am wondering how to change the login background picture of Manjaro Gnome.

If I was using Ubuntu, I would use the change-gdm-background. But this only works for Ubuntu 20.04 Focal.

I have trid other possible solutions, including modifying the file 10_manjaro-gdm-branding at /etc/dconf/db/gdm.d and gnome-classic.css at /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme, but neither of them works. And by the way, the folder /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme does not contain gnome.css

/usr/share/gnome-shell/theme » ls                      
calendar-today.svg           classic-toggle-on-us.svg
classic-process-working.svg  gnome-classic.css
classic-toggle-off-intl.svg  gnome-classic-high-contrast.css
classic-toggle-off-us.svg    login.png
classic-toggle-on-intl.svg

So could anyone help me with this? Many thanks!

Short answer: It is too difficult to be worth doing for average user. There is an app that can do it, but it might not work anymore with the current versions of gdm. @Ste74 do you remember what that gdm tweaking gui was called? The one whose features we considered merging into gls?

Sure

2 Likes

OK, I will give it a try. Thanks a lot :smiley:

This will not work as expected in a multiuser setup. As i mentioned here:

Once that background is something else, users will get confused …

Hi! Thanks you for letting me know the potential issue. I’m using Manjaro on my own laptop, so personally, I believe this won’t cause too many problems.

Hi, you can use my work :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.