GNOME - GDM - LogIn Screen & a .sh

Hello,

I’m actually working on making a change from W7 to Manjaro for an office, they have a lots of computer so I’m looking for a quick way…
I’ve already presented them the OS and they like it but the thing is they want the LogIn Screen without the ‘manjaro logo’ on it, they actually have a wallpaper with their company name on it which they were using on W7.

So after searching my old drive I found an old .sh from ArchLinux to quickly change that wallpaper using the lockscreen wallpaper, seems even after so many years it still works perfectly with a simple chmod and an sh but to my surprise the ‘manjaro logo’ wasn’t on the basic wallpaper :confused:

So I checked the wiki about GDM and I found that :

Log-in screen logo

Either create the following keyfile

/etc/dconf/db/gdm.d/02-logo
[org/gnome/login-screen]
logo=' */path/to/logo.png* ' 

and then recompile the GDM database or alternatively log in to the GDM user and execute the following:
$ gsettings set org.gnome.login-screen logo ' */path/to/logo.png* '

Which is kinda different on manjaro as the filename is ‘10_manjaro-gdm-branding’

/etc/dconf/db/gdm.d/10_manjaro-gdm-branding
[org/gnome/login-screen]
logo='/usr/share/icons/manjaro/maia/logo_text_white_48px.png'

[org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/color]
night-light-enabled=false

[org.gnome.desktop.screensaver]
picture-uri='file:///usr/share/backgrounds/illyria-default-lockscreen.jpg'

So I simply made a ‘blank’ file named ‘logo_text_white_48px.png’ and typed ‘sudo mv /home/logo_text_white_48px.png /usr/share/icons/manjaro/maia/’ in the terminal.

The thing with that is at every manjaro or gnome update it will go off, so I need to complete the .sh file accordingly… so they would simply have to run it after an update.
Any idea on how it would be best to procede?

Is there a way to simply delete the line to delete the logo?

Or do I have to give them a blank logo file and add ‘sudo mv /home/logo_text_white_48px.png /usr/share/icons/manjaro/maia/’ in the .sh?

Here’s the script I’m using to replace the current logIn screen wallpaper by the lockscreen wallpaper :

#!/usr/bin/sh

if [ "$IMAGE" = "" ]; then
  IMAGE=$(
    dbus-launch gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.screensaver picture-uri |
    sed -e "s/'//g" |
    sed -e "s/^file:\/\///g"
  )
fi

if [ ! -f $IMAGE ]; then
  echo "unknown IMAGE $IMAGE"
  exit 1
fi

echo ''
echo 'using the following image as login background:'
echo $IMAGE
echo ''

if [ -d ~/tmp ]; then
  CREATED_TMP="0"
else
  mkdir -p ~/tmp
  CREATED_TMP="1"
fi

WORKDIR=~/tmp/gdm-login-background
GST=/usr/share/gnome-shell/gnome-shell-theme.gresource
GSTRES=$(basename $GST)

mkdir -p $WORKDIR
cd $WORKDIR
mkdir theme

for r in `gresource list $GST`; do
  gresource extract $GST $r >$WORKDIR$(echo $r | sed -e 's/^\/org\/gnome\/shell\//\//g')
done

cd theme
cp "$IMAGE" ./

echo "
#lockDialogGroup {
  background: #2e3436 url(resource:///org/gnome/shell/theme/$(basename $IMAGE));
  background-size: auto;
  background-repeat: no-repeat;
}" >>gnome-shell.css

echo '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<gresources>
  <gresource prefix="/org/gnome/shell/theme">' >"${GSTRES}.xml"
for r in `ls *.*`; do
  echo "    <file>$r</file>" >>"${GSTRES}.xml"
done
echo '  </gresource>
</gresources>' >>"${GSTRES}.xml"

glib-compile-resources "${GSTRES}.xml"

sudo mv "/usr/share/gnome-shell/$GSTRES" "/usr/share/gnome-shell/${GSTRES}.backup"
sudo mv "$GSTRES" /usr/share/gnome-shell/

rm -r $WORKDIR

if [ "$CREATED_TMP" = "1" ]; then
  rm -r ~/tmp
fi

By the way because in my research I saw a lot of confusion.
The LogIn screen is the screen you get after booting the computer and you have to select an user and enter a password, it’s a different screen than the lockscreen.

Hello,

This could go by this forum rule in a way
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Forum_Rules#Homework

What makes is different is that you are actually doing this as your job it seems, so you ask for help for something you will get payed for in a forum where everyone gives voluntary help. Your honesty is yet appreciated, but we do not encourage such help requests.

If your clients do not like the manjaro logo in the login screen, then remove manjaro-gdm-branding package, so then they will not be bothered by it with the updates.

If they are bothered by the green accent, then remove manjaro-gdm-theme and do your own hack to replace the background.

Confusion from whom?
GDM handles both login and lock screen. The background is displayed different as is taken from the wallpaper of the user that logs in and locks the screen the last (in case of a multi user install). When there is no user logged in, there is no background in the login. Once the user locks the screen, their background is shown. When you switch the user, then that login/unlock screen will fall back to the default one, not the first user one.
That is why GNOME decided to have a neutral background, but i’ll reiterate: GDM handles both login and lock screen.
Only KDE Plasma has a clear distinction/separation between lock screen and SDDM=login screen.

I don’t think we have an official stance about this as a team. I think it is problematic to discourage work related help requests, because we do not have any official or commercial channels for tech support. Why should Manjaro be more difficult to work with than centos or other distros? In my personal opinion, if you want to use manjaro at work, it should not preclude from community support. Of course, volunteer work is always volunteer work, and nobody has any obligations whatsoever, just like normal. I think work is fundamentally different from homework, as this is not a learning assignment.

Perhaps we should have some more discussion on this and maybe come up with a policy?

Oddly enough, lock screen is nowadays handled by gnome-shell itself and not gdm, despite the appearances. This was a surprise for me too, but I ran into it when I submitted one particular bug report upstream.

Why discourage students then ?

Does the lock screen work if GDM is removed ?

I haven’t tested. Theoretically it could. I think it was moved from gdm to shell when it started using the blur effect instead of the background image.

@bogdancovaciu

Hello, first of all it might be for an office but I’m doing this freely for a friend so he can get rid of windows, so it’s only on spare time and for free. Well part of it is mostly proving him he doesn’t need windows at all when he can use linux, other part is making the system the most identical as possible for his workers.
As it will be new to them and I’m not gonna support their park, I choose manjaro instead of archlinux because it’s user-friendly so they’ll be able to easily stay updated. As an arch based distro and a voluntary work I expected not to get such a surprising answer but whatever…

The problem isn’t really the manjaro logo in this case but it overwrite their companie tag on the wallpaper, I told him it would be nice he add the logo on his wallpaper somewhere else, he didn’t seemed against the idea.

As it is right now, ‘logo_text_white_48px.png’ is upon his company name :roll_eyes:

About the ‘confusion quote’ it goes with the explication following it otherwise you lose it’s meaning as it explain the reason of the confusion as it is.

Anyhoo. I don’t get what the problem is about a logo on a logIn screen as manjaro is written in the ‘About’ part of the ‘Setting’.
Maybe manjaro wasn’t the right choice after all.

Homework assignments are designed to encourage a student to learn by their own personal research.

The hardwork is already done. I was simply asking the following question so he can keep those system up and running as they were on w7 without my help.

Maybe I should have add this question to ease yourself : or is there a way to move ‘logo_text_white_48px.png’ on the logIn screen?

Voluntary or not, work is called work. One of the reason I choose manjaro instead of arch is because of this community support. Your answer unlike the other seems to follow the manjaro spirit I once knew, happy to see it’s still here.

I dont think there is any easy way to move it, but it can be deleted. As suggested by @bogdancovaciu, Simply uninstall the package manjaro-gdm-branding.

You’ll want to ask for a raise, then. Do the math. :wink:

You don’t have to. It will lock the session and instantly get an authentication error. You will not be able to switch users either, hence the lock will lose the functionality completely.

That is exactly how body and head work for us. Without the head, the body will not work, without the body, the head will not work. We can split to hairs, but that was not what i implied.

Isn’t the same for someone that asumes a greater responsibility ?

I carry no burden, there is nothing to ease for me. I already explained what happens.

Fedora used to have, for the logo, an extension and the user could change the logo: picture, position, transparency and size from it. Probably with minor changes that could work and installed instead of the manjaro branding.

Regarding the wallpaper, as i said, the default one is like that, a neutral one, because each user on one machine can have their own wallpaper and that will be rendered when the user locks the screen. The last user that locks it will have their wallpaper on the lock. Once you switch to another user, regardless if is logged in or not, when their user is selected, while at the password field, the background will be the neutral one from GDM. With each update indeed you will have to repatch that.

Well, I’m pretty sure I could as he will be able to expand his park for no cost with old machines from storage but the point was to help a friend in need so I’m not going to fee him.

Just needed to make it easy peasy for him so he don’t call me every update for something so useless :roll_eyes: after all the first post was already a solution, maybe not the cleanest, sure.

community/manjaro-gdm-branding	/etc/
community/manjaro-gdm-branding	/etc/dconf/
community/manjaro-gdm-branding	/etc/dconf/db/
community/manjaro-gdm-branding	/etc/dconf/db/gdm.d/
community/manjaro-gdm-branding	/etc/dconf/db/gdm.d/10_manjaro-gdm-branding
community/manjaro-gdm-branding	/etc/dconf/profile/
community/manjaro-gdm-branding	/etc/dconf/profile/gdm
community/manjaro-gdm-branding	/usr/
community/manjaro-gdm-branding	/usr/share/
community/manjaro-gdm-branding	/usr/share/icons/
community/manjaro-gdm-branding	/usr/share/icons/manjaro/
community/manjaro-gdm-branding	/usr/share/icons/manjaro/maia/
community/manjaro-gdm-branding	/usr/share/icons/manjaro/maia/logo_text_white_48px.png
community/manjaro-gdm-branding	/usr/share/libalpm/
community/manjaro-gdm-branding	/usr/share/libalpm/hooks/
community/manjaro-gdm-branding	/usr/share/libalpm/hooks/manjaro-gdm-branding-install.hook
community/manjaro-gdm-branding	/usr/share/libalpm/hooks/manjaro-gdm-branding-remove.hook

So if I remove this package, won’t he may come back with an update? Neither a problem with the start?

You have to also remove manjaro-gnome-assets meta package, but avoid uninstalling all it’s other dependencies. If you don’t remove the assets metapackage, it will pull the gdm-branding back.

So if I remove manjaro-gnome-assets 20201017-1 and manjaro-gdm-branding
There’s no need I add anything in the .sh about the logo, right? :thinking:

No, the logo is provided and reapplied by the branding package. Without that package it goes away.

Okay thanks for all your answers :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.