How stable is your bspwm setup?

The wiki is pretty clear on multiple desktop environments

I think I’ll treat it as “it might not boot tomorrow / next -Syu / config file change” and autosnapshot everything so I can roll back. [HowTo] Btrfs and Snapper

I’m going for a productivity setup mainly coding in vscode and terminals all day. I’m a bit worried switching from MacOS, since every desktop linux I touch has had a short lifesspan. My first week setting up bspwm has of course resulted in a bunch of teething problems.

Hi!
Could happen but it isn’t normal. Beside of the snapshots and backups, I have a copy of the .config dir and others in other hdd.
The first time with a wm is always hard, but once you have it configured, you don’t gonna left it!!

1 Like

It’s so stable that I tried other Desktop options and now it’s my only desktop on my daily machine. Updated here and there and no problem.
Plus, one of the great things that I found in all the WMs I tried is that it is very verbose, so if there’s an issue, you always can get the line of code that causes the problem (the code tends to be very short and simple)
From Mac? very different but the cmd keys will work so well for keybindings :wink:

1 Like

Bspwm is quite stable. It does not break. The desktop environment you build around it might though. But if you focus on stable applications and keep things minimal, the risks are minimized.

1 Like

The fonts used to break a few times.

1 Like