How do you search files on ext. drives?

Hello,

i am having files on system drive and on other two mount points (external drive) in Manjaro XFCE. In MS Windows i was using great software called “Everything” it took just a minute to index my drive and then under one second find file by name within like 3 million files.

I am looking something like that in Linux (Manjaro). I know there is “locate” utility which is fast when comparing to “find” utility, but never found the way to make it index also external/detachable mount points…

Recoll (official repo) seems to index content, and i have not found to make it index only filenames for videos, music, archives and images.
FSearch (AUR) seems to be good alternative. Fast filename index, no content index, though 5x slower than Everything (at least in case of a NTFS filesystem): pamac build fsearch-git

---- SIDENOTES:

On above linked page is listed fsearch, and it is in AUR though unsure why pamac/pacman not found it (have AUR repo disabled):
pamac search fsearch
pacman -Ss fsearch
pamac search *fsearch*
pacman -Ss *fsearch*
update: because i have to use “-a” switch in search command
so i went to my apps dir. and tried:
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/fsearch-git.git;cd fsearch-git;makepkg -si

looking for conflicting packages…

Packages (1) autoconf-archive-1:2019.01.06-2

KDE has built-in facility for this through baloo indexer. Basically any search you do from KDE apps will make use of indices made by baloo. Otherwise, FSearch will do the same, it’s close to Everything indeed as it’s inspired by it.

On above linked page is listed fsearch, and it is in AUR though unsure why pamac/pacman not found it (have AUR repo disabled):

Please read this on how to install stuff from AUR. In short: not through pacman, you need one of the available AUR helpers, though I have no idea how/what pamac uses. I’ve stopped using graphical package manager since a couple of years ago since it presents more problems than solutions. I don’t need beauty and convenience if they don’t come along with stability and verbosity.

2 Likes

I have XFCE and I settled on Recoll indexer. XFCE has Catfish which can search in the directory you choose, but it is not an indexer. So, if you are dealing with external drive and have a one time search you can try Catfish. For anything else that’s connected I highly recommend Recoll. I think Gnome and KDE have indexer built-in.

1 Like