How do I remove all these unnecessary fonts (libreoffice)?

I don’t speak or write Thai, Arabic, Syriac, Estrangelo, Armenian or Bengali or many of the other languages that seems to have fonts in my Libreoffice.

Noto-fonts seem to be the main culprit but that’s an all or nothing affair and is dependant on kde-zsh IIRC.

Found a partial solution.

You can uninstall them completely using NoExtract option in /etc/pacman.conf.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=230195

2 Likes

I was curious about Chatgtp’s answer:

Did’nt try it so far but sounds ok ?!

Perhaps enlarge this forum with extra marked answers from chatgtp?

Not really.

“It” doesn’t understand the underlying problem.
The package contains all the fonts - remove it and the fonts are gone.
Manual deleting does not survive the next update.
The (a little tedious but permanent) solution is this.
… what @stasadev said

Followed the instruction in this , seems to work, thank you!

noto-fonts is 110 MB on my system and i dont’t use different fonts much, anyway good to know how to fix that!

Attention:

I did it the wrong way first: i had a noto-font as system default and removed it as first step with

sudo pacman -Rdd noto-fonts

No good idea, couldn’t read anything in thunar for example :frowning:

With nano in xfce4-terminal i could do the editing of /etc/pacman.conf because that terminal did not use noto-font … success :slight_smile:

Thanks for letting the forum members know what worked and your warning :slight_smile: It’s a little disheartening when a Topic of interest is viewed and the user ends by saying, it’s solved, but not what was done.

Probably could have Ctrl-Alt-F3 (4-6) to get into a tty to edit pacman.conf

Please mark the post, even if yours, as solved. It puts a little checkmark icon next to the Topic title so users can: see that the Topic was solved in any list, filter lists “by solved”, see the solution in the first post, and search “by solved”.

I know it takes time, but never execute a command without reading the man page (man pacman). It is pretty easy to quickly find options in the pacman man page. I just search for the operation (-Q, -S, -R) by typing /-R and then typing n repeatedly to find the next occurrence and then reviewing the section. q to quit.

From experience, it is probably always better to execute the single option first of any command and then the double. The user either needs to address why the warning occurred or be okay and understands what is going to happen. I notice on the double -d pacman really means no check because there isn’t even a warning :slight_smile:

After reading the man page, I’ll execute the commands below. The main reason I use both -Q and -S, is because the -S will show all packages for “Required by” and “Optional For”. It gives me an understanding of how much the package is used now and how future installs may be impacted.

pacman -Qii noto-fonts
pacman -Sii noto-fonts
pactree -r noto-fonts

noto-fonts is also in xfce packages-desktop or grep noto /desktopfs-pkgs.txt. I believe it is the default font in XFCE Setting > Appearance > Fonts or grep -ir noto /etc/skel/.config/xfce4. Also check grep -ir noto ~/.config. Using lsof shows noto fonts used by a lot of processes.

I’ve used the solution you mention for locale packages too. Not so much for space, but for my eyeballs. I use locate (package mlocate) and find a lot and I get tired of seeing pages and pages of files or having to exclude them.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.