How can I use manjaro as a stable distro... not rolling release

I was using debian before… for some reason I recently shifted in manjaro.
everything is fine on manjaro but one thing I don’t like!
can I use this distro without updates? (like debian)
example: I was installed manjaro 19 kyria… it was running pretty well on my pc but when I install 21 pahvo… it also work but it usages more cpu on regular task! this is why I don’t wanna update…
even I can’t install softwares on 19… everytime its ask for update system :woozy_face:

You can’t.

Well, you can stop updating your system, but then you are bound to get security issues. There is also a way to install packages without updating, but on the long run they are bound to become incompatible.

Also, there is no need to install a new version when its release is announced. Since Manjaro is rolling, you only need to keep updating to get that latest version. The only extra you get by reinstalling is the added default packages, which may or may not suit you.

Also:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Improving_performance

5 Likes

Strangely i installed Manjaro for the exact opposite, because i don’t want fixed distro anymore but one running over years (let’s hope before a strong update will be a murder)

I guess don’t update, and re-install a fresh iso once or twice a year like a fixed?

4 Likes

You can keep everything on LTS and not run pacman -Syu for 5 years. But that’s not advisable ig?

1 Like

I used debian before too, but came to manjaro to have the latest updates, the stable branch of manjaro is very stable, just use it how it’s meant to be used, but you can stick to LTS kernels to only get the security patches more or less like on Debian. For example now the latest kernel is 510, like on debian, but with manjaro you get the most recent secruity fixes on the kernel, while the debian security team takes longer time to work on it and relaese it. But on the programs side you get the latest versions with manjaro, which makes a lot of sense on a laptop and desktop use, since you would want latest security fixes but also new features, with debian you usually have to wait 2 years for new features…I would recommend to read more and watch some videos about the philosophy behind manjaro and the project.

6 Likes

I don’t get your question to be honest.

1. Just like with Debian, you receive update notifications.
  2. Just like with Debian, Manjaro will not auto-update by default, you initiate that.
  3. Unlike Debian, there are no major releases. The Manjaro version number you see is really just intended for the Manjaro developers.

So that means even when you see the version number bump from 20.x.x to 21.x.x it’s still a tiny update for your system. As there are no major releases.

The great thing is everything is tested before rolled out, for example with Fedora you are on bleeding edge, at least with Manjaro the Devs take a week or so to test updates to packages first.

5 Likes

The question is kind of non sense. You installed a rolling release distro, but you don’t want a rolling release distro?

Easy fix is to not use a rolling release distro.

Not updating the system but installing new packages will result at some point in a broken system, no doubt about that. You have to make the decision, do you want a rolling release distro or not? If the answer is no, then look for an up to date fixed distro, I’m pretty sure they exist. If the answer is yes, then this thread makes no sense, update your system as updates come.

13 Likes

Simple question, why can’t a rolling release be stable? How often do you have to do a clean install of a fixed point release? So many times when I "upgraded " a fix point release like mint something went wrong. There’s plenty of users on the forum that have not done a clean install for years

4 Likes

I swear if I ever replace the power switch on that old n2** netbook I might be able to prove a full lineage from 0.8.10 to now :laughing:
Current one is whenever I got this machine …

$ stat / | awk '/Birth: /{print $2}'
2018-11-09

Aw birthday coming up :birthday:

5 Likes

Aww, mine is from December, same year.

2 Likes

Well, Manjaro 19 Kyria might not been available anymore based on the repositories. Those packages installed on the ISO are less than 1% of all packages you might find in the repositories.

Debian is not frozen. More or less it only gets updates in the release series of each library or application, which got released during that version release. Let’s say it uses KDE 5.18, which is an LTS release series of KDE Plasma, then you may update within that series if there is a new point release. Same goes to security updates/backports and other packages.

If you want a static release, you may need also to freeze a mirror, either locally or on a server you may own. Then you have the given versions of that snapshot with all applications you may not have yet installed. However, if a webbrowser needs an update, you may need flatpak, snaps or other third party application sources like appimage to get newer versions as what you have in your snapshot frozen.

So a stable distro needs work in regard finding the right point releases per package, decide which Kernel you may use and a much bigger team to maintain all those obstacles which may occur in backports.

Newer ISOs may come with newer kernels. So maybe try a different kernel series to see if that helps.

10 Likes

Let me say this I use Arch based distros because as rolling releases they are more stable and up to date than static releases. After switching to a rolling release I basically kicked myself for not doing it a lot sooner.

4 Likes

Hey I started nearly 1 year after you! :grin:

$ stat / | awk '/Birth: /{print $2}'
2019-11-15

You’re lucky, a simple copy/paste just to see by simple curiosity returns absolutely nothing

[bozzoh@bozzoh ~]$  stat / | awk '/Birth: /{print $2}'
[bozzoh@bozzoh ~]$

I swear it’s all just all simple copy/paste :slight_smile:

A lot of the breakage you might encounter with rolling vs iteration distros is due to upstream desktops, such as KDE and GNOME.

Much of the stability and reliability from, say, Ubuntu LTS, is that they “freeze” the versions of GNOME and KDE, and if everything “just works”, it’s going to remain that way for the life of your distro.

On the flip side, if there’s a bug in an application, you may never receive the fix, not even backported, if by chance it’s arbitrarily frozen at whatever version was available during the version-freeze phase of Ubuntu’s release cycle…

Take Smb4K for example (part of KDE’s ecosystem). If you’re on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, you are still using a buggier version of the program (3.0.4), while Manjaro users are gifted with a version that has fixed these bugs (3.1.1). In order to use version 3.1.1 with Ubuntu, you need to “leap-frog” from Ubuntu 20.04 (LTS) to Ubuntu 21.10 (non-LTS), or find a PPA and take your chances with it. So much for “long-term support”. :man_shrugging:

Recently KDE, at least from my perspective, seems to be a bumpy ride with a rolling distro, such as Manjaro or Arch, due to the regressions and new bugs that are introduced in its current development. Honestly, I think less frequent updates in regards to KDE would benefit most users. (Sudden “surprise bugs” in the file manager or desktop-integration are not fun.)

6 Likes

If you only do:

stat /
what do you get?

If you only do:

stat /
what do you get?

=>

$ stat /
  Fichier : /
   Taille : 4096        Blocs : 8          Blocs d'E/S : 4096   répertoire
Device: 8,2     Inode: 2           Links: 18
Accès : (0755/drwxr-xr-x)  UID : (    0/    root)   GID : (    0/    root)
 Accès : 2021-10-03 10:53:48.968969760 +0200
Modif. : 2021-10-24 08:32:19.656133426 +0200
Changt : 2021-10-24 08:32:19.656133426 +0200
  Créé : 2021-10-03 08:48:17.000000000 +0200

If you do:

stat / | awk '/Créé : /{print $2}'

it should work.

Or

LANG=C stat / | awk '/Birth: /{print $2}'
2 Likes

Nothing return

[bozzoh@bozzoh ~]$ stat / | awk ‘/Créé : /{print $2}’