Headsup for some Cinnamon 5.4 bugs

Agreed display doesn’t work but most of the others do.

Display works now!

Same issues here and I add another one: The keyboard applet on the status bar made the whole right part of the bar grow and overflow off the screen whenever I changed keyboard layouts. Removing the applet and adding it back again seems to have fixed the issue.
Edit: it broke again after restarting :confused:

For me all my Extensions stopped working. Cinnamon Maximus, gTile, Smart Panel, Transparent Panel. I’ve got 7 computers running Manjaro Cinnamon. 2 of them are production machines where I really need the desktop working perfectly. I’ve downgraded one of them and the other one I’m not touching until I’m sure the extensions works again. Updating the other machines rolling to be aware of when the extensions are working again.

Hello, I used another topic for relating some cinnamon bugs since 5.4 update, but it seems here is a better place. (look for “cinnamon-update-problem” in the forum, for some reason I can’t include links…) :slight_smile:

Hello, since last update of manjaro / cinnamon, i have problems too :

• Hot corners doesn’t work anymore : I have to deactivate / activate them in parameters to let them work … only some minutes
  • Screen Power Saving mode doesn’t work anoymore : Screensaver works but screen does not turn off anymore after 10 minutes as before (my own delay). It seems it turns off 2 seconds (black screen), and then wakes up for another 10 minutes screensaver round …

Note that my manjaro install is from 2015 … never had to reinstall since :slight_smile:
Should I change some parameters ? Where are cinnamon config files ?

thanks for your help

If you check the github of most of the extensions you’ll see they’re not working on any distro running 5.4 not just manjaro. I know transparent panels extension hasn’t been updated on over 12 months so may not be maintained any more

I’ve just updated and also encountered problems. The main one for me is that the window-list applet won’t load, so I can only switch windows via Alt-Tab, not by clicking buttons on the panel.

There are a load of related errors in .xsession-errors that seem related, although I’m not really sure how to interpret them.

Yeah, Linux Mint is getting ready for the Linux Mint 21 release. They did some major overhaul of various parts, rebasing the window manager, changing how display configs are handled, and much more. Article link.

Maybe Linux Mint applies migration scripts for updates, but I guess we just get the packages when we update.

So, depending on what you’re using and what got changed around, different stuff may have got broken for different people/systems.

I’m using pretty much bog standard Cinnamon: no extensions and just a few standard settings changed around or features such as hot corners disabled. Apart from some annoyances and the display settings shakeup, I’ve been relatively okay. But yeah, if you’re stuck with something you use all the time now broken, that’s pretty annoying.

That said, I’d give it a couple of months if you can live with that. Linux Mint 21 is supposed to be released soon (Any Time Now ™) and when they do, there will be plenty of extra eyes on the changes/brokeness and I expect some more fixes then. Manjaro being what it is, we’ll see those fixes sooner rather than later.

What bugs me the most is that the systray applet doesn’t work properly and the icons it contains are not accessible when the taskbar is set to auto-hide.
And that the taskbar always twitches around when you move the cursor to the bottom of the screen to open it (in auto-hide mode) is the second point that bugs me a lot.
The fact that the extension for the bar transparency does not work at the moment I find not quite so tragic because I have changed the appropriate transparency values directly in the theme.
However, the prospect of having to wait for months for the fixes for the two problems mentioned above I find again super tragic…

I think I would like to downgrade cinnamon since I’m also missing the separate control for the window borders but I honestly don’t know exactly how to do it, it seems quite complicated if not impossible…

I’m adding another problem since this update :
If I switch on my PC while monitor is off, when I switch on the monitor,… black screen…
I have to reset PC :frowning:
If monitor and PC are both on, it seems OK
Nothing in journalctl that i can understand…

There’s some new cinnamon updates been pushed to testing this morning. I’ll see if I can replicate your error.

All the other errors seem to be extensions /add ons etc which obviously need to be updated to work with cinnamon 5.4. There’s no much manjaro can do about them, but that’s up to the extensions maintainers

Apparently that is a feature not a bug

If you downgrade you are going to have issues on a rolling release sooner or later

Yes, I know that it’s a feature but I feel it is an unnecessary restriction of possibilities.
And yes, you are right with the rolling release aspect and therefore I’m feeling a bit trapped right now…

I tried many desktops and settled on Gnome until Unity drove me from Ubuntu to Mint. Needing a bleeding edge kernel for new hardware drove me from Mint to Manjaro, where I was happy to find the Cinnamon community edition. Lately I have been thinking of giving KDE another try as a more mainstream and officially supported Manjaro desktop. I mean, the grudges I hold are against KDE 3/3.5. Much has changed.

So, don’t feel trapped. Make some time and experiment. The conclusion may be that it’s worth holding out for a bit and sticking with Cinnamon and/or even compromising on some changes you don’t like. But by then it will be your choice to do so and not something forced onto you.

Reading this

Hopefully the applet /extension issues might be fixed when the next update is pushed

Everything’s fine here since the last Manjaro / Cinnamon update - systray and taskbar are working correctly since…

Good! The latest update didn’t change a lot for me, since systray was already/still working as expected for me. The only thing I still notice is that the keybindings for snapping/positioning of windows are behaving a little different when you have multiple displays and occasionally I have trouble moving a window to another screen with the key combinations.

I followed the steps after a lot of research:
sudo pacman -S manjaro-cinnamon-settings;
sudo pamac reinstall cinnamon;
sudo pacman -Syyu

the last one showed me that many packages were missing, however it brought my system back and so far everything is working

I hope it helps

Not sure how many extensions have been fixed but transparent windows works now but you need to download/install in manually from here GitHub - yuansl/cinnamon-spices-extensions: Extensions for the Cinnamon desktop until they get merged into the linuxmint master

Not sure if this is specific to manjaro cinnamon or across the board but there’s an issue with libc or something:

cd "dst/_x86_64_linux_cc/DEBUG/output" && valgrind --leak-check=full --show-leak-kinds=all ./trypaw.elf -D APP_DATA=...
==105513== Memcheck, a memory error detector
==105513== Copyright (C) 2002-2022, and GNU GPL'd, by Julian Seward et al.
==105513== Using Valgrind-3.19.0 and LibVEX; rerun with -h for copyright info
==105513== Command: ./trypaw.elf -D APP_DATA=...
==105513==
valgrind:  Fatal error at startup: a function redirection
valgrind:  which is mandatory for this platform-tool combination
valgrind:  cannot be set up.  Details of the redirection are:
valgrind:
valgrind:  A must-be-redirected function
valgrind:  whose name matches the pattern:      strlen
valgrind:  in an object with soname matching:   ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
valgrind:  was not found whilst processing
valgrind:  symbols from the object with soname: ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
valgrind:
valgrind:  Possible fixes: (1, short term): install glibc's debuginfo
valgrind:  package on this machine.  (2, longer term): ask the packagers
valgrind:  for your Linux distribution to please in future ship a non-
valgrind:  stripped ld.so (or whatever the dynamic linker .so is called)
valgrind:  that exports the above-named function using the standard
valgrind:  calling conventions for this platform.  The package you need
valgrind:  to install for fix (1) is called
valgrind:
valgrind:    On Debian, Ubuntu:                 libc6-dbg
valgrind:    On SuSE, openSuSE, Fedora, RHEL:   glibc-debuginfo
valgrind:
valgrind:  Note that if you are debugging a 32 bit process on a
valgrind:  64 bit system, you will need a corresponding 32 bit debuginfo
valgrind:  package (e.g. libc6-dbg:i386).
valgrind:
valgrind:  Cannot continue -- exiting now.  Sorry.

Adding to the list of annoyances, “Preferred Applications” does not save changes nor does it have a button to save. Some seem to save, but most don’t.

In particular, if you have Only Office and TextMaker installed, no matter how hard you try you cannot get the default spreadsheet application to change to TextMaker and stay there.

Adding insult to injury the “Document Viewer” is really busted for PDF handling. No matter how hard you try you cannot change this to Opera (which actually works) and have it stick.

Is there a command line method of changing these that will actually stick.