HDMI to TV shows a blank screen

Are you sure you have tried the TV is configured correctly? Do you use any kind of converter? Can you try a different display/cable?

The TV doesnā€™t have anything to configure and when I plug it into another laptop that runs Ubuntu it works fine. Unfortunately I donā€™t have another cable.

Does the cable work with the other laptop? Anyway, could you try this other configuration (keep the TV connected) (remove the previous config)?

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout"
    Screen 0 "nvidia"
    Inactive "amd"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Device "nvidia"
    Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "amd"
    Driver "amdgpu"
    BusID "PCI:5:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "amd"
    Device "amd"
EndSection
3 Likes

It worked! One thing though. I canā€™t change the audio to the TV, but thank you very much. This is still a big step.

Beware, that now everything is rendered on the nvidia gpu.

About the audio, can you run head -n 50 /etc/udev/rules.d/*?

So itā€™s either I work with auto-switching gpus and not have hdmi vs having hdmi but nvidia running everything and draining the battery faster?

~ >>> head -n 50 /etc/udev/rules.d/*                                           
# Remove NVIDIA USB xHCI Host Controller devices, if present
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{vendor}=="0x10de", ATTR{class}=="0x0c0330", ATTR{remove}="1"

# Remove NVIDIA USB Type-C UCSI devices, if present
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{vendor}=="0x10de", ATTR{class}=="0x0c8000", ATTR{remove}="1"

# Remove NVIDIA Audio devices, if present
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{vendor}=="0x10de", ATTR{class}=="0x040300", ATTR{remove}="1"

# Enable runtime PM for NVIDIA VGA/3D controller devices on driver bind
ACTION=="bind", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{vendor}=="0x10de", ATTR{class}=="0x030000", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="auto"
ACTION=="bind", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{vendor}=="0x10de", ATTR{class}=="0x030200", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="auto"

# Disable runtime PM for NVIDIA VGA/3D controller devices on driver unbind
ACTION=="unbind", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{vendor}=="0x10de", ATTR{class}=="0x030000", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"
ACTION=="unbind", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{vendor}=="0x10de", ATTR{class}=="0x030200", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="on"

Unfortunately, it seems so. Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s a bug somewhere, because that configuration works for me with an intel integrated and nvidia dedicated gpu.

The easiest way of switching is

1. set the correct configuration (no config for hybrid, and that config I sent for nvidia-only)
  2. run sudo systemctl restart gdm

Note, however, that this will forcibly close all applications running in graphical sessions.

Alternatively, optimus-manager has experimental support for AMD+NVIDIA configurations.

To get the audio working, change this

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{vendor}=="0x10de", ATTR{class}=="0x040300", ATTR{remove}="1"

to this

#ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTR{vendor}=="0x10de", ATTR{class}=="0x040300", ATTR{remove}="1"

and then reboot.

1 Like

Awesome, the audio works now. I guess Iā€™ll have to think about what I really need but for now Iā€™m gonna test how this setup does. By the way, since everything runs through the nvidia gpu now, I donā€™t need to append the prime-run command to games anymore? Again, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Thatā€™s what I told you yesterdayā€¦

:sob:

At first I didnā€™t want to, but after going through the troubleshooting and thinking that it was going to work out, I changed my mind when it ended up as you suggested. Sorry and thank you too. :sweat_smile:

You donā€™t need it, but you can use it. And Iā€™d recommend, if you put it in Steam configuration or something, use it, because if you go back to the hybrid mode, it will matter.

This situation is very unfortunate because it shouldā€™ve worked with the nvidia gpu as output sink.

Yeah. Hopefully Iā€™ll get it to work someday. Again, thanks for all the help.

I read some, and found that this is the ā€œexpectedā€ behaviour. As per the 450.66 nvidia driver readme:

The NVIDIA driver currently cannot be used as an output sink when the output source driver is xf86-video-amdgpu.

https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/450.66/README/randr14.html#caveats

I see. So I guess Iā€™ll just have to hope for a future update.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.