Harfbuzz 3.0.0 breaks chromium 95 dev

harfbuzz 3.0.0 and harfbuzz-icu 3.0.0 break chromium.

After the upgrade of those two packages, chromium fails to start:

$ chromium
/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/chromium/chromium: undefined symbol: hb_subset_input_set_retain_gids

I had to manually downgrade them back to their 2.9.1 versions to get chromium working again.
Details here: [Solved]Chromium will not launch / Applications & Desktop Environments / Arch Linux Forums

Are you fully up to date? You should have no issues with Chromium 94.

In fact, I am even using a chromium development version compiled by my own, from source: 95.0.4621.4. Only thing I can think of is that it might be necessary to recompile against the updated harfbuzz packages.

Not the most surprising news but just a heads-up, this also breaks ungoogled-chromium from the AUR.

I can confirm this too with the prebuilt package of that same browser from chaotic-aur. Downgrading harfbuzz and harfbuzz-icu to 2.9.1 made the browser work again for the time being.

By the way, you should try out that repo as it can prevent build headaches with some popular AUR packages.

:bell:

Indeed. Chromium 94 was build against Harfbuzz 3.

I’ve moved the related posts to a new topic. Nothing here is related in any shape or form to Manjaro package updates. It’s your responsibility to manage your own AUR or self-built packages

3 Likes

I got this error with also with the Iridium browser …

Although I think I did not compile it myself …
Noob quesiton: should I try to “re-install” it again ? building it against the new harfbuzz updated package ?

In that case, you’ll have to either downgrade harfbuzz and harfbuzz-icu or rebuild Iridium from the AUR yourself.

At least for chromium-dev, you can also choose the browser to be built against a bundled harfbuzz version that ships with the browser’s sources.
I assume that this way, you will get independent of the harfbuzz version installed on your system.

Other option: Ditch chromium-dev for now as it has a few other problems compiling anyway, and use stock chromium which is currently in version 94.0.4606.61 and indeed, works with the harfbuzz versions recently updated.