Grub works, no X, can’t open TTY

I don’t seem able to boot into 5.10, 5.4, or 4.19–regular or fallback initramfs. Each results in a black screen; can’t access TTY with ctl + alt + f[n]. This may have happened after the late September or early October stable update, I can’t be sure. Any advice?

Yes.

1. Use the forum’s search function. :arrow_down:

2. Properly describe your setup…:

• Which hardware (graphics adapter, et al)?
  • Which Manjaro edition (Official (KDE Plasma, GNOME, XFCE) or Community (Cinnamon, MATE, Budgie, LXDE/LXQt, OpenBox, Deepin, et al))?
  • Which branch (Stable, Testing, Unstable)?

Yep, I’ve been the guy who tells this to people, and I’ve seen many threads in which you’ve been the guy who actually helps people; I’m hoping for the latter in this case. I can’t access my computer, so my ability to provide detailed information is limited to what I can remember and what I can enter by phone.

I can’t find my inxi dump or the forum thread that used to have it, but here’s some info that may help.

• nvidia propriety graphics (2080 super), no integrated gpu
  • Manjaro i3
  • stable branch

I would normally follow these instructions, but can’t get to TTY. I vaguely remember a grub flag that might help, but can’t seem to find documentation of it.

How to boot from USB into live Manjaro (for repair):

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information. [HowTo] Provide System Information
  2. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.
    (Wisdom lies in reading :wink: )
2 Likes

Ok, the grub flag is documented here, which is linked to in the link I posted above but I hadn’t gotten that far on my phone yet. I now have a no-X login and will follow the instructions.

since you cant enter into tty theres not much you can do except for chroot and try to repair it from there… boot live usb of manjaro, connect to internet and chroot:
manjaro-chroot -a
(this doesnt work with btrfs and encryption, so you have to chroot manually)
and rerun update:
pacman-mirrors --fasttrack 5 && pacman -Syyu
if its up to date and there were no errors, post output from:
mhwd -l -li
and logs:
journalctl -b-1 -p4 --no-pager

1 Like

After successfully logging in with no X, I ran pacman-mirrors -f3 and pacman -Syyu followed by a reboot. Everything appears to be working after the reboot. Thank you all for your patience and help.

1 Like