GPD Win 2 randomly boots to black screen on Kernels newer than 5.4

it looks like you have this:
pcieport 0000:00:1d.0: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Uncorrected
this is very likely what causes the black screen… its very likely that this issue is not present with the 5.4 kernel
what is the output from this:
journalctl --disk-usage
lscpi

This may not be directly related, but I got rid of ACPI bios errors by installing ACPI Linux so that the system uses that instead of the bios.

   ~  journalctl --disk-usage                                          ✔ 
Archived and active journals take up 2.6G in the file system.
    ~  lspci                                                            ✔ 
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v6/7th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 615 (rev 02)
00:05.0 Multimedia controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor Imaging Unit (rev 01)
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th/8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 21)
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem (rev 21)
00:14.3 Multimedia controller: Intel Corporation CSI-2 Host Controller (rev 01)
00:15.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 21)
00:15.1 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 21)
00:15.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #2 (rev 21)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI #1 (rev 21)
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 21)
00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #9 (rev f1)
00:1e.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Serial IO UART Controller #0 (rev 21)
00:1e.6 SD Host controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Secure Digital IO Controller (rev 21)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Device 9d4b (rev 21)
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC (rev 21)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio (rev 21)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus (rev 21)
01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7265 (rev 59)

Hello derobets1,
Forgive me for my ignorance but is acpi linux a package? I already have a package labeled acpi installed on my system, unless there is a setting I need to choose in Manjaro or the bios.

its the wifi that causes the issue, i have the same issue, and you cant boot gnome with these pci/aer issues, you can boot kde/xfce… so lets try to fix it…
edit again you grub and add there this parameter:
pci=nomsi
run:
sudo update-grub
reboot and test

Added what is suggested in this format:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="resume=UUID=550c15ed-2b7b-44ed-bfd0-b50697230d51 udev.log_priority=3 pci=nomsi"

Unfortunately, it didn’t work, still getting stalled boots at the “can’t change power state from D3cold to D0 (config space inaccessible)” or the screen goes black before the log itself can even stop/freeze.

there are several parameters as a possible fix, and i dont know which one will be working with your system…
so replace the pci=nomsi with this one:
pci=nommconf
update grub:
sudo update-grub
reboot and test

Tested several times and this is the solution! Thank you so much!!!

so test some more time, just to be sure …
also you have to add this parameter into the live usb grub so that you are able to even boot it … here is a link on how to do it
you also need to add it again in the installation
and clear your logs, you have almost 3Gb of them because of this issue:
sudo journalctl --rotate
sudo journalctl -m --vacuum-time=1s
and add the quiet parameter back into the grub
run:
sudo update-grub

Ok good. I believe what you need to do now is to make sure there is a boot up switch in grub that reads acpi=linux. It has been a while so my memory may not exactly right.

Got a live usb of manjaro to boot with pci=nommconf. First time I put it in the incorrect spot, but second time I put it in the correct spot and it booted correctly. I also did what you suggested and cleaned up the old journals. Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.