Git clone stuck, a ssh problem?

hi guys,

i’m not a so expert linux user.

yesterday i installed majaro on my old mac, and i feel very good. I get an incredible boost!

but when i try to clone some repositories with git@ prefix and so using ssh key, git remains stucked and after some minute i get this message:

git clone git@github.com:helix-editor/helix.git
ssh: connect to host github.com port 22: Connection timed out
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.

my /.ssh/config:

Host github.com
User git
Port 22
Hostname github.com
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_rsa

also i tried to make a simple ssh prova2@tty.sdf.org using a fake server from SDFORG, but nothing i receive this message:

ssh: connect to host tty.sdf.org port 22: Connection timed out

what can be the problem? i think git isn’t the problem, but something related to 22 port?

What are the chances of having two of these back to back? …

That is: I believe you will find that plugging in through ethernet will have things work fine, and will want to look at Wi-Fi adapter/driver issues for that old mac.

2 Likes

Maybe have a look at this output:

ssh -v github.com

Also possible that something blocks port 22 on your side. Firewall (ufw or router) ?

Please first just test over ethernet lest you as in that other thread waste a lot of time looking at a problem that does not exist other than as a Wi-Fi driver problem.

hi @rene oh yes,

thanks for your hints:
the problem was an documented error in my network card: broadcom_wireless wiki in the #SSH_freeze_for_BCM4331_with_b43 section.

i try to install the broadcom-wl-dkms, but don’t work. instead the precise broadcom-wl version of my installed kernel work fine!!!. i can use ssh now ^^ !!!

Thanks for finding/noting that! Will also spam into that other thread…

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/broadcom_wireless#SSH_freeze_for_BCM4331_with_b43

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.