Can't use SSH on freshly installed Manjaro with MacBook Pro 2012 Wi-Fi

So try e.g. 1000 or 1200 or…

[EDIT] Wait, NO-CARRIER? Waddaya mean NO-CARRIER? Is that your actually used interface?

You actually lost me with ip a or to say it in @linux-aarhus words, now I have to check whats going on…

Try

sudo ip link set dev enp1s0f0 mtu 1200

IF enp1s0f0 is in fact your wireless NIC; can’t quickly check how Arch/Manjaro names wireless interfaces but more usually it would be e.g. wlan0 or some such.

I’m walking outside while reading this all, and almost tripped over.
:rofl:

Its persistent interface renaming of general Linux kernel…

2: enp1s0f0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN group default qlen 1000
[...]
3: wlp2s0b1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000

I tried with both 1000 and 1200…

Okay, that wl one will be the wireless one so if you are connecting over that, I hope you have done

sudo ip link set dev wlp2s0b1 mtu 1200

and of course hope that you have tested the ssh behaviour afterwards.

Yes, I am using wifi and I have testet 1200 and 1200 - each time in a new shell verified with ip a.

they are named by udev based on their place in the system

• en is ethernet
  • wl is wireless lan

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Udev

Setting the MTU is a very rare situation. It may surface with old kernels - but may as well be related to old hardware - and a MacBook Pro 2012 is indeed old hardware with a very old - likely - broadcom wifi - which complicate things further.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Broadcom_wireless

Two reverse-engineered open-source drivers are built-in to the kernel: b43 and b43legacy. b43 supports most newer Broadcom chipsets, while the b43legacy driver only supports the early BCM4301 and BCM4306 rev.2 chipsets. To avoid erroneous detection of your WiFi cards chipset, blacklist the unused driver.

As some drivers is part of the kernel and some is not - it may be worth exploring what device is actually part of your system and locating the driver to use and the driver to blacklist.

Okay, just then to impress I wasn’t just being full of it, I was referring to e.g. Bug #1874257 “SSH fails with connection timed out - in VPN and h...” : Bugs : linux package : Ubuntu what with that MTU nonsense…

But if that didn’t work to get ssh going then I’ll for now butt out; anything I’d now come up would be mere guesses and would likely just have you at best end up on top of a stack of dead wild geese rather than with working ssh. I believe it was TriMoon who somewhere above suggested testing ssh within your local network to see if that works which seems a good idea to ascertain – but basically no idea.

I have tested via ethernet and it perfectly works :roll_eyes:! I may have read something about wifi adapter problems with Linux and Mac so I will investigate further. But that should solve the problem…

@rene I really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

Mmm. Well – I knew there was a reason I abhor Wi-Fi…

1 Like

So uhmmmm, to recap:

• You can connect via VPN using SSH, so it’s not an SSH issue anylonger.
  • You can connect via Ethernet but not WiFi .

Someone rename the thread, so the hunt can continue for connection of WiFi only :wink:

FWIW I have concluded this to be some sort of uninteresting bug with the “MacBook Pro 2012” Wi-Fi adapter driver. I.e., the VPN puts a “software adapter on top of the hardware one” and then it all of a sudden works, so it seems that his real “wl” interface just interacts a bit too directly with a buggy driver for such.

Yea that’s why the topic title is wrong and needs a change because it’s more WiFi related as ssh…

title adjusted to reflect current knowledge/progress

Sadly I don’t know if the problem existed before, as I got this machine second hand. I am going to fiddle around with the hardware and update this post later by time… Again, thanks everybody for your time.

This was solved in a second instance of this thread by @angelochecked

2 Likes

For all Manjaro and pacman newbies like me: sudo pacman -S broadcom-wl, select your corresponding kernel version and restart your machine.

1 Like

sudo pacman -S broadcom-wl

Been using Manjaro on old broadcom hardware for 8 years. All the above drivers occasionally glitch, have been cycling through them whenever there’s an issue with one of them. If you ever have to get back to b43 this helps: How to enable Broadcom Wireless on Manjaro

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.