Gimp AppImage not showing printer, just PDF

Hello,

I’m using Manjaro (21.2.4). I’ve been using GIMP AppImage for months without any problem but today, after the last SO update I guess, Gimp cannot find my printer.

I can use my printer (Brother MFC-J470DW) from any other application but Gimp. It’s correctly installed in CUPS.

I already uninstalled and reinstalled Gimp AppImage GIMP_AppImage-git-2.10.25-20210610-withplugins-x86_64.AppImage (downloaded from github)

How can I add the system printer to Gimp AppImage?

Thank you in advance for your help

Damon H.

AppImages, Snaps and FlatPaks are all containerized applications that do not have access to the full system resources — filesystems, printers, et al.

Why not use the regular GIMP from the repository? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Aragorn, thank you for your answer.

You’re right, it a containerized application but it have always had access to the printer, before.

I also have another PC (a laptop) where I run the same AppImage in Manjaro and the printer works (the same printer in the same network).

I guess the difference is that Manjaro on the laptop has not been updated for a couple of weeks.

Well, I don’t use AppImages, Snaps or FlatPaks, but maybe you should try reinstalling it. Perhaps it’ll pick up the new configuration.

Or, you could just install the Gimp that’s in the repositories. It’ll use up less space on the drive and it’ll be fully integrated with the system.