Force shutdown during update, now can't boot

Hi guys, I really need some help!

I was running an update via pacman in the terminal, and it was a big one, so while it was running i was doing some other stuff. Then suddenly my computer started being super non-responsive, and stupid as I am, I of course completely forget that I am in the middle of running an update, and I opt to do a force shutdown.
When I boot it back up I get this message:

‘’’
error: file ‘/boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64’ not found.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue…
‘’’
When I then press any key, I am taken to a list of Kernels, starting with 5.10.32-1-MANJARO x64 and ending with 5.4.114-1-MANJARO x64. Every second one is the same as the one before but with the addition of ‘fallback initramfs’.

The first two options takes me back to that same message about the missing file.

The next two brings me the message:
‘’’
[Failed] Failed to start MariaDB 10.5.10 database server.
‘’’
Then brings me to my login screen. I then type in my password, but all that happens is i get that same message and then it loads the login screen again.

The next two kernel options gives me this message:
‘’’
[Failed] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules
[Failed] Failed to mount Mount unit for core18, revision 1988.
[Failed] Failed to mount Mount unit for core18, revision 1997.
[Failed] Failed to mount Mount unit for hangups, revision 216.
[Failed] Failed to mount Mount unit for hangups, revision 222.
[Failed] Failed to mount Mount unit for snapd, revision 11588.
[Failed] Failed to mount Mount unit for snapd, revision 11841.
[Failed] Failed to mount Mount unit for spotify, revision 45.
[Failed] Failed to mount Mount unit for spotify, revison 46.
[Failed] Failed to mount Mount unit for zoom-client, revision 142.
[Failed] Failed to mount Mount unit forzoom-client, revision 143.
[Failed] Failed to mount /boot/efi.
[Depend] Dependency failed for Local File Systems.
You are in emergency mode. After logging in, type “journalctl -xb” to view system logs, “systemctl reboot” to reboot, “systemctl default” or “exit” to boot into default mode.
Give root password for maintenance
(or press control-D to continue):
‘’’

All the other options gives me one of those three outputs.

I have no idea what to do from here, and in this area I would consider myself a total noob! Any help will be massively appreciated! I have made a live usb already, since i figured that will be necessary? Worst case scenario I am okay with just saving my data and doing a reinstall, but of course I would prefer to save my system :slight_smile:

Thank you so much, I hope I am not rambling too much, might be a liiiitle bit panicky xD

Welcome to the forum! :wink:

Boot up from the USB stick in live mode, open up a terminal window, and issue the following commands… :arrow_down:

sudo su -
manjaro-chroot -a

Select your Manjaro installation. Next, issue the following commands, and let them finish this time. :wink:

:arrow_down:

rm -f /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
pacman-mirrors -f5 && pacman -Syyu
exit

When you’re done, you can safely reboot the machine. Remember to remove the USB stick before the machine starts booting again. :wink:

2 Likes

Also remember there is an update going on, and it shouldn’t be interrupted! :wink:

OK, sorry.
Not too much though.

4 Likes

I promise, I will never forget :rofl:

Okay, so when I type in the chroot command I get:
(How do you do that grey box for the command lines?):

grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1. Check your device.map.
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdb1. Check your device.map.
==> Mounting (ManjaroLinux) [/dev/sda2]
→ mount: [/mnt]
→ mount: [/mnt/boot/efi]

Not entirely sure what you mean by ‘Select your manjaro installation’ :sweat_smile:
Can I just type in the next command or? Sorry Iøm such a noob, however I promise to let the thing finish this time, and AAAAALLLL other times to come xD

Type three backticks (’`) above and below the commands or terminal output that you want to include in your post. :wink:

I think you can ignore that. It’s probably related to your USB stick.

If you have more than one operating system on your computer, you usually get a menu from which you must make a selection.

I would give that a try first. Let’s take this one step at the time. At the end of the update procedure, the GRUB configuration will be updated to point at the new kernels. We’ll take it from there if need be. :wink:

That’s only if you have more than one Linux installation available.

Looks that way, to me.

Wrap the output of the terminal you wish to format in 3 backticks. Like so:

```
text here
```

That will cause it to be rendered like this:

text here

Edit:
Snap, and I’ll shut up now. :wink:

Thank you guys SO much for walking me through this !!

Okay so I typed in the rm -f line and nothing happened. I take it that\s how it supposed to be, right?

Then I type in the last line before exit. and I get

::WARNING https://repo.manjaro.org 'Connection: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='repo.manjaro.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: / (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fb6784c49d0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not known'))'
::WARNING https://wikipedia.org 'Connection: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='wikipedia.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: / (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fb6784c4ee0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not known'))'
::WARNING https://bitbucket.org 'Connection: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='bitbucket.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: / (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fb6784c4b20>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -2] Name or service not known'))'
::INFO Internet connection appears to be down
::INFO Mirror ranking is not available
::INFO Mirror list is generated using random method
::INFO Writing mirror list
::Denmark         : https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/manjaro/stable/$repo/$arch
::Denmark         : https://www.uex.dk/public/manjaro/stable/$repo/$arch
::INFO Mirror list generated and saved to: /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
::INFO To reset custom mirrorlist 'sudo pacman-mirrors -id'
::INFO To remove custom config run  'sudo pacman-mirrors -c all'
:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.dotsrc.org : Could not resolve host: mirrors.dotsrc.org
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from www.uex.dk : Could not resolve host: www.uex.dk
error: failed to update core (invalid url for server)
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from mirrors.dotsrc.org : Could not resolve host: mirrors.dotsrc.org
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from www.uex.dk : Could not resolve host: www.uex.dk
error: failed to update extra (invalid url for server)
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from mirrors.dotsrc.org : Could not resolve host: mirrors.dotsrc.org
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from www.uex.dk : Could not resolve host: www.uex.dk
error: failed to update community (invalid url for server)
error: failed retrieving file 'multilib.db' from mirrors.dotsrc.org : Could not resolve host: mirrors.dotsrc.org
error: failed retrieving file 'multilib.db' from www.uex.dk : Could not resolve host: www.uex.dk
error: failed to update multilib (invalid url for server)
error: failed to synchronize all databases

I\m seeing lots of errors xD

Yes. It simply removes the package database lock file if it exists. Usually when the upgrade was interrupted, the lock file will not have been deleted, which would normally be the case if the upgrade has finished.

Well, there’s your problem. There’s no internet connection in that session ─ I suppose that’s on another machine than the one you’re typing from now?

Well, yes. I am on a borrowed machine typing right now.
However I have connected the machine in question to the internet. and the internet is working on the browser, yet I still get that exact message.

The last post I posted, I posted from the machine in question, because it was easier to get the code copied like that :smiley:

Well, if its internet connection is working, I’d try again from here on… :arrow_down:

pacman-mirrors -f5 && pacman -Syyu

But maybe, before you issue that command, you can try the following… :arrow_down:

ping -c 5 google.com

… and see what that says. Apparently your internet connection on that machine is not very stable. A laptop with WiFi, perhaps?

It is indeed a laptop on wifi, will I need to make a threaded connection?

When I type in the ping command, I just get

ping: google.com: Name or service not known

I tried it several times.

And when I type in the pacman-mirrors command i still get that same output.

That appears to be the best option. :man_shrugging:

Okay, give me a minute or two, while I try and find an ethernet cable :slight_smile:

Okay now on a wired connection, and I made sure I was disconnected to the wifi as well, but I still get the same output both from the ping command and from the pacman-mirrors one :confused:

This is extremely bizarre, and it should not happen. I’ve never known that to happen with any of our other members who are chroot'ing into their installation.

Okay, one thing you could try ─ inside the chroot environment ─ is… :arrow_down:

systemctl start NetworkManager.service

When I do that I get this back

Running in chroot, ignoring command 'start'

and thats it …

Never had any connectivity issues on this machine before btw.

There does seem to be some kind of problem somewhere. To test, I just tried to do an upgrade on my PC, and:

Preparing...
Synchronizing package databases...
https://manjaro.osmir.ch/stable/core/x86_64/core.db: Could not connect: Socket I/O timed out
https://manjaro.osmir.ch/stable/extra/x86_64/extra.db: Could not connect: Socket I/O timed out
https://manjaro.osmir.ch/stable/community/x86_64/community.db: Could not connect: Socket I/O timed out
https://manjaro.osmir.ch/stable/multilib/x86_64/multilib.db: Could not connect: Socket I/O timed out
Nothing to do.
Transaction successfully finished.

Wait, so you’re saying that the problem doesn’t seem to be on my machine but on the Manjaro servers or something? :open_mouth: