Force shutdown during update, now can't boot

For that you can’t sync now, and so forth, it’s quite possible. Even likely.

[nx-74205:/dev/pts/3][/home/aragorn]
[16:18:22][aragorn] >  ping -c 5 manjaro.osmir.ch
PING manjaro.osmir.ch (82.220.99.26) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- manjaro.osmir.ch ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 4044ms

[nx-74205:/dev/pts/3][/home/aragorn]
[16:18:44][aragorn] >

:astonished:

But then again, from the OP’s post higher up… :arrow_down:

::WARNING https://wikipedia.org 'Connection: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='wikipedia.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: / (Caused by 

If he can’t reach Wikipedia, then the problem is at his end. :thinking:

So does that mean that there’s nothing I can do right now?
I don’t exactly understand the implications of that ping thing…
Is it just a waiting game from now on and then trying the commands again some time later? or …

Or is there something else I can do?

Not at the moment, no.

It just means that the sever which it tried to reach, could not be reached, 100% of the attempts.

Exactly!

You can do the time warp.

1 Like

A ping is a network connection test. 100% packet loss means that the target computer did not respond to pings. This could be because they have disabled ping responses for security reasons ─ it’s a possible attack vector for DDoS attacks ─ or because the server is offline.

1 Like

Lol was that a Rocky Horror Picture show reference at the end? :rofl: :sweat_smile:

But okay guys, thank you so much for your help, I am gonna taka a break and do something else, and then come back and try this whole thing again later, will update you when something different happens :smiley:

Also thanks a lot for your patience :slight_smile:

Okay guys :slight_smile:

So today I tried the commands again, and this time lo and behold, it ran fine and it looked like the update was happening, although it was very short.
Anyway, in my excitement and thinking that everything was now fixed I didn’t copy that particular output, I just exited and rebooted.
But alas, the problem still persists, and the machine is acting in the same way when booted.

I am now on the live machine again and when I type in the pacman-mirrors command now this is the output I get:

::INFO Downloading mirrors from Manjaro
::INFO => Mirror pool: https://repo.manjaro.org/mirrors.json
::INFO => Mirror status: http://repo.manjaro.org/status.json
::INFO Using custom mirror file
::INFO Querying mirrors - This may take some time
  0.176 Denmark        : https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/manjaro/
::INFO Writing mirror list
::Denmark         : https://mirrors.dotsrc.org/manjaro/stable/$repo/$arch
::INFO Mirror list generated and saved to: /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                  165.3 KiB  2.31 MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100%
 extra                1913.2 KiB  14.8 MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100%
 community               6.5 MiB  23.0 MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100%
 multilib              178.1 KiB  24.9 MiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do

The output I got the first time was very similar, just with a yes/no prompt (which I of course said yes to) and very few things being downloaded :slight_smile:

But at least I now have connection, what can we do from here?

Alternatively If I were to decide to just salvage my data and do a reinstall, how would I go about doing that? :slight_smile:

For that I’d recommend booting into a live ISO environment and copying your data. Either just like that, or if you have tom you can copy from a chroot environment, although I don’t know how to really do that, or how safe it is. Just thinking that it is a possibi8lity.

1 Like

Okay cool, any other ideas to save my system before I do decide to do that though?

None, too be totally honest. I’m, 100% sure it can be done, I just don’t have the knowledge and/or HOW-TO myself at the moment. Sometimes, especially if you are on a tight schedule, it’s better to just ‘cut your losses’. Limit the damage and rebuild the dam. As long as you learn something from the experience.

Well said, my friend :smiley:

However, as I am not on that tight a schedule right this moment, I think I will wait a few hours and see if Aragorn comes online, and if he might have some ideas, before I make that decision :slight_smile:

Anyway, thanks for all your help so far :+1:

You are very welcome! I am glad you’re not on that tight a schedule, and if you can wait a bit for other ideas, well the n that’s good.

Edit:
Ahem! Speaking of…

1 Like

No ideas, other than that I agree with @Mirdarthos: copy all your data to an external medium from within the live session and reinstall Manjaro. I don’t know why, but your system appears to have gotten thoroughly messed up somehow. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Hahaha, yeah sometimes you don’t even have to wait for patience to pay off :rofl: :rofl:

Haha, well I try to never do anything in half measures, even f***ing up my own system apparently :rofl:
I will do just that, and thank you both again for all your help :smiley:

A while back, I ran into similar problems, with kind of the same error you run into @ chroot.
The reason for it was that I booted the live USB in MBR mode instead of UEFI mode.

• If your installation is in UEFI, select @ boot options one of the EFI partitions on the live USB.
  • If your installation is in Legacy/MBR, select the USB device MBR partition (USB device label).

Cheers

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try that, and then when I’m sure it’s in the right mode just run that same command line?

Yes after your in the right mode you can just run the same what was mentioned in first place @Aragorn
:ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks, that’s worth a shot at least :slight_smile:

1 Like