Fixed: Mhwd-gpu –status: warning: could not find ‘/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf’!

Dear Manjaro-Users,

This will be my first post! I really like to help the community!

I’am new to Manjaro/Arch, but I’am Linux Expert (since 1996). Here a short Fixed-Howto from me:

By using mhwd for installing AMDGPU Drivers, I discovered a link problem, when I’am using

mhwd-gpu --status

for checking the status of my Radeon RX 6500 XT Graphic Card.

:: status
warning: could not find '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf'!

To explain this:

Here is the following problem, that there is no standard xorg.conf - which is not really required.

But when you need this, like for setting the “optional” parameters, it should exist corectly for mhwd.conf.

Fix of the “link issue” (because mhwd is checking the link, which should be no file at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d) !

Create File…
/etc/X11/mhwd.d/20-amdgpu.conf:

Section "Device"
     Identifier "AMD"
     Driver "amdgpu"
EndSection
sudo mhwd-gpu --setxorg /etc/X11/mhwd.d/20-amdgpu.conf

This will set the following link /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d:

20-amdgpu.conf -> /etc/X11/mhwd.d/20-amdgpu.conf

When you know check the status with mhwd, then all is fine:

sudo mhwd-gpu --status
:: status
  xorg configuration file: '/etc/X11/mhwd.d/20-amdgpu.conf'

A small problem, but maybe helpful for others, because I miss this info about the tool, at the MHWD Wiki documentation.

The Good News for me: I got Age Of Empires 4 ready to play over Steam and I dont have to boot up my windows 11 again! Maybe this will be my next posting :wink:

Kind regards
Torsten

This is already covered in the Arch wiki: AMDGPU - ArchWiki

Initially, MHWD is used during installation to make sure the proper video drivers are installed. Since amdgpu is installed out of the box, using MHWD is not needed at all by the user after.

That file doesn’t exist because it was never created during install. It’s only created if one has NVIDIA proprietary drivers.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.