Firefox / Thunderbird permissions requester does not work

I’ve got a weird problem where if I need to allow permissions for logins in Firefox the pop-up requester looks fine but when I LMB click on “Allow” (or Cancel) nothing happens. I just now tried to add the Nextcloud Filelink add-on to Thunderbird and got the same thing. I can’t add the add-on because a click on “Add” does nothing and the permissions popup just stays there until I close that tab. Has anyone else seen this or have a solution?

I am using an uptodate Plasma desktop.

:+1: Welcome to Manjaro! :+1:

  1. What are you doing exactly?

  2. Does this also happen when you start Firefox with the command:

    firefox --safe-mode

Whoa, I missed your reply as I didn’t get an email, or didn’t notice it.

  1. Just doing anything that pops up the permissions requester like trying to add an addon or allowing permissions to use my media devices when using WebRTC, for instance.

  2. Same result in safe-mode.

I’ve re-installed Manjaro/KDE at least 3 times in the last 2 years with the same result.

:grin:

You’re the record holder for the latest reply to me on this forum! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

  1. Can you give an example of a specific site?
  2. Bummer! :sob:
  3. Does this also happen when you create a new user (E.G. markc2) and try it there?

:thinking:

P.S. Looking forward to your response in 7 months! :joy:

1 Like

Heh, Well this time I got an email notification.

  1. Trying to add any addon and when trying to use WebRTC via https://spreed.me

  2. Good point, I did reinstall a backup of my home directory (minus ~/.cache) when doing a reinstall. It’ll take a while to save all my work to reboot into another user so will report back. I have, over the years, installed various esr and beta versions of Firefox so they created separate profiles but there could be something in my users ~/.config or ~/.local dir at fault.

@Fabby thanks for your suggestion because it works okay as another user. I’m not sure why I didn’t think of something so simple. This gives me a good excuse to do a fresh install and to be very careful about what I copy back into my home dir as opposed to my normal rsync backup:/home/user/ strategy.

It would be interesting to know what config option was causing the problem but aside from the time and hassle of a curated reinstall I’ll be glad to be able to use Firefox again… although I was starting to get used to Vivaldi.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.