Firefox not loading... crashes

Firefoxfails to load, crashes at load time with this error.

 INT ✘
ExceptionHandler::GenerateDump cloned child 17127
ExceptionHandler::SendContinueSignalToChild sent continue signal to child
ExceptionHandler::WaitForContinueSignal waiting for continue signal...
    ~  Failed to open curl lib from binary, use libcurl.so instead

Hi @tracyanne,

Just checking, is curl installed?

pamac search --installed curl

If not, install it with:

pamac install curl

Hope this helps!

Yes it is installed, I did a reinstall just to be sure.

I also reinstalled Firefox, and that let me load it in safe mode.

There is a possibility it was not loading because my partner had multiple, as in half a dozen or more tabs with YouTube Videos loading.

That kind of might be it, although I’m not sure…I’ve never seen the use of more than 1 YouTube instance at a time…and besides, that should affect your Firefox, possibly only your internet speed.

There are only 2 options left I can think of:

1. Your profile.
    Which is easy to test: just remove the .mozilla directory from you home:
mv ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.backup
  1. Firefox isn’t installed from the repos, but the AUR and needs to be rebuilt.

That leaves the Profile, as it is installed from the repos. I’ll go have a look at profile .ini to see if the reinstall has a new profile.

You’ve not met my partner.

2 Likes

Apparently I should be glad…conversations should be…interesting?

They can be :wink:

As soon as she has finished watching her favourite youtube video blogger, I’ll get a copy of the last crash report. That might help.

1 Like

Best option: Buy her an old Chromebook, and tell her that if she breaks it, it’s hers to fix. :stuck_out_tongue:

Second best option: Set her up with her own user account and make sure you’re logged out of your own account before you let her use the machine. Then at least she can’t be messing with your own files and configs. :wink:

By the way… :point_down:

It won’t. Reinstalling the package won’t touch your home directory, which is where your profile is stored.

You can rescue some files from the old profile:

cert9.db = certificates
key4.db = has to do with passwords, I don’t remember exactly, but worth backing up
logins.json = saved passwords
places.sqlite = bookmarks
prefs.js = self explanatory
search.json.mozlz4 = Search engines, including custom
1 Like

She has her ownlaptop.

My profile is not a problem, see above

from the crash report:

Crash Reason :  SIGSEGV / SEGV_MAPERR
Crash Address :  0x0000000000000000
Available Virtual Memory :  6,730,801,152 bytes (6.73 GB)
Available Page File :  19,838,009,344 bytes (19.84 GB)
Available Physical Memory :  6,407,249,920 bytes (6.41 GB)

Actually that wasn’t as helpful as I initially thought.

What about above ?
Did you try with a clean profile ?
Or even same profile, safe mode (firefox --safe-mode) ?

This :point_down:

Yes.

Yes to that too.

As I said I reinstalled Firefox, which allowed me to open Firefox in Safe mode, and reload all her tabs, except the half dozen or so YouTube videos.

I’m guessing it was Firefox attempting reload the ‘umpteen’ tabs with the YouTube videos. Unfortunately other than this crash reason

Crash Reason :  SIGSEGV / SEGV_MAPERR

I can’t be certain I am correct.

I would recommend the following to reduce the load when Firefox has lots of YouTube tabs open:

1. Type “about:config” in Firefox’s address bar to access Advanced Preferences, use the filter bar to search for “browser.sessionstore.restore” & make sure that “browser.sessionstore.restore_tabs_lazily” & “browser.sessionstore.restore_on_demand” are both set to “true”. That way, any tabs that were open when Firefox was closed will be restored but not loaded until clicked on when Firefox is re-opened.

2. Install the below Firefox add-ons. Auto Tab Discard will unload (not close) unused tabs after a set period of time, freeing up system resources. Tab Session Manager allows multiple sessions to be saved & opened at a later time. It also saves & restores tabs unloaded by Auto Tab Discard. Very useful if your partner has lots of videos open that she won’t be able to watch in one sitting. She can just save the tab session to be opened at a later time. As well as storing sessions locally, it also saves the sessions to Google Drive if signed in & authorised.

1 Like

I’ll give that a try, as soon as I’m allowed to trouble shoot her computer again. :grinning:

1 Like

Quoting the same portion that did not contain enough information will still not contain enough information.

Maybe I’m confused as to why you are talking about multiple firefoxs etc.

I just care about the one crashing.

I suppose the rest answers the question as to whether you have tried a clean profile though. Maybe ?

If you have tried with a clean profile and/or safe mode … then it should mean the culprit is not found with its configuration or extensions.

So … more information would be good. I see the crash was not very explanatory.
We dont know anything about the system. Maybe share an inxi and we will see you are missing a swap partition on a low memory system.

As to firefox in general … theres many tweaks … but still … I dont see any reason a handful of tabs should crash the browser. Every laptop within spitting distance can open dozens of tabs, including multiple videos, without running off a cliff.

One other thing I am wondering (and this is probably only a remote possibility of being the cause) is whether the recent changes that YouTube implemented to delay video loading if the browser is Firefox (a blatantly transparent attempt to force users to switch to Chrome) could be causing problems if many tabs are trying to load videos at the same time. It apparently uses javascript to identify the browser and enact a 5-second delay if it is Firefox. In that case, a Firefox add-on that prevents preloading &/or auto-playing of videos until the play button is clicked on might be useful. I’ve been using Disable HTML5 Autoplay - Firefox Add-ons for a few years, however I just noticed in its comments that it hasn’t been updated for a while, so there may be other, more recent, choices available on the add-ons site.

Info on the YouTube delay:

Youtube has started to artificially slow down video load times if you use Firefox. Spoofing Chrome magically makes this problem go away. : youtube

What a ride.
So it looks like they are also tagging certain accounts for arbitrary wait times.
Yet another reason not to use an account. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not. You asked what the ‘See Above’ refered to I told you by quoting the full context of the post you were referring to.

I’m sorry if that confuses you. But the see above comment was to tell another poster that it’s not my Computer nor my copy of Firefox that is problematic

When the information I sought was about the clean profile, which you said was not a problem, and to ‘see above’… in which you never mention trying a clean profile. I suppose it is intended to mean it isnt ‘your profile’ thats the issue … but that would be beside the point of ‘please try clean profile’ and the lack of information pertaining to it.
Aw well … conversing is hard I guess.

1 Like

It can be, when one is trying to respond to multiple people both on line and IRL.

Did both Clean Profile and Safe Mode. As I explained to some one in this thread, reinstalling Firefox allowed me to use safe mode.

It’a system with 8 gig RAM and 20 Gig Swap partition. Sorry I had already dismissed both of those as contributors.

I have no good reason to doubt that. But until and if it happens again I have nothing more to go on.

I certainly won’t get to investigate further until it happens,.

1 Like