Fingerprint reader not recognized

I have a Samsung Galaxy Book Flex Alpha and I have been trying to be able to login with my fingerprint with no avail. I heard that Manjaro natively supported fingerprint login but I didn’t see any option for it.

Is this the right place to ask this?

Output from lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04e8:730b Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd Fingerprint Sensor Device - 730B

Please read these articles and see if these work for you:

I could be wrong, but I don’t believe Manjaro ISOs have the fingerprint package preinstalled.

Edit: SOME editions have fprintd but not all of them. I.E. KDE edition doesn’t have it, GNOME edition does.

Check the list of supported devices. It seems that particular device is not on the list.

1 Like

What should I do then?

If fprintd doesn’t support your device, then your options are:

1. Don’t use the fingerprint sensor
  2. Get a device that supports fprintd or thinkfinger (thinkpads)
  3. Use Windows

Note: It isn’t Linux’s fault that a fingerprint sensor isn’t supported. It’s the manufacturer not releasing drivers to support it on Linux. And reverse engineering a proprietary product to openly support it as a community is not easy.

1 Like

In my case, my ThinkPad’s fingerprint sensor it’s not in that list:

So I understand that it isn’t supported.
C’est la vie… :man_shrugging:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ThinkFinger

ThinkFinger doesn’t apply to my ThinkPad because its sensor is from Synaptics rather than SGS Thomson Microelectronics…

:slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.