Filesystem exfat not configured in kernel

Hello everyone, i installed Manjaro recently and i’m getting this error while trying to mount an external HDD using exfat.

What is the error? Is exfat-utils installed?

“Filesystem exfat not configured in kernel”

Sorry didn’t read the last part before replying Exfatprogs is, Exfat-utils isn’t.

Didn’t try with Exfat-utils since after researching for a bit i found that its supposedly an updated version

check on util-linux as well

1 Like

i will as soon as i get home :slight_smile: , thx for the suggestion!

exfat-utils (1.40)was last updated two weeks ago 3/3/2023 on Unstable and is also now in Testing branch

1 Like

I was guiding myself using this post: Exfat-utils or exfatprogs?. Since i couldn’t find much over the internet i thought exfat-utils wasn’t the way to go, i’ll check It out first before util-linux. Thanks for the explanation.

util-linux is required by important system app, systemd, mkinitcpio etc so never mind on that.

So i should only try out swapping Exfatprogs for Exfat-utils?

1 Like

I only have exfat-utils installed on my system. It works.

1 Like

exfatprogs provides exfat-utils, but as @omano said he has exfat-utils and it works, Same here, it works (xfce).

1 Like

This might be an obvious question.

But what kernel are running and have you tried another kernel?

1 Like

It would be better to use exfatprogs. See:

1 Like

The main reason for me to use exfatprogs as it is needed for gparted and because of this it was changed in the root packages some time ago.

grep exfat /rootfs-pkgs.txt and it was exfat-utils at the time I installed this system.

But future Manjaro ISO appear to have exfatprogs. Commit April 2022.

Moderator edit: Corrected commit link

I’ve just checked and exfatprogs conflicts with exfat-utils, but I wonder if it was offered as an update?

Hmm…

grep exfat /rootfs-pkgs.txt
exfat-utils 1.3.0-2
pamac list -i | grep exfat
exfatprogs                           1.2.0-1                         community  180,9 kB

pamac gui shows exfatprogs
:thinking:

Edit:
Never mind, brainfart :slight_smile:

exfatprogs provides and conflicts with exfat-utils by design.

The only way that would happen is if exfatprogs replaced exfat-utils, but it currently does not.

1 Like

Yes I thought that as people still have exfat-utils but if the decision was taken to change it in rootfs should it not have been sent out as an update?

1 Like

It was done because the optional dependency of gparted changed from exfat-utils to exfatprogs. We include gparted on the live ISOs.